1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choking Surging Stalling Weak, Help??

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Meansealvel, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

So last week at some point my 94 Mitsubishi hesitated/stopped accelerating as I pulled out into traffic, it was only for a moment and it didn't do it again for about a week or so. This am when I headed off to work it started doing it again. Basically it seems like its starving for fuel, when I start out from a stop it bucks... it loses power for a moment then all of a sudden surges. I was able to drive close to 40 to work but could feel a significant hesitation and when I slowed and turned into my office and it bucked and surged my way to my parking spot. Same deal on the way home. Now it wont even idle without either stalling or at the very least running very low.

So far ive changed the fuel filter, made sure the fuel pump is working and pulled the air filter cover to make sure the air is moving. It still runs like crap, I assume its the carb but wanted to check in with everyone to find out what everyone else thinks. I have no idea where to begin with vacuum lines and I have never pulled the carb.

Thanks for any help!:frustration:

2. miniman

miniman Member

I would suggest talking to the dealer you purchased it from, if they are at all reputable and experienced they should be able to help you troubleshoot it

3. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

What color is the exhaust? Black is fuel. Blue is oil. White is water. Is the choke opening? Have you checked the fuel return line to see if it's plugged? Mine did the same thing a while back. It ended up being the little spring on the choke linkage had come off. It's on the shaft that the choke is attached too. Somehow it had come unhooked. Then it did it again. But this time I found the problem by accident.......I pulled the top of the carb and found a diaphragm and plunger thing in there and mine was stuck at the top.

Do you think you might have gotten some water in the gas? You could try using a fuel additive to remove water. Doesn't take much to mess things up. I use "Lucas" fuel additive. Works great!!! Can't remember if it removes water. I'll check later.

4. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Hahah thanks Moose! All good ideas, however it turns out it was just the fuel filter! I cant believe it because its sooo obvious! It was the first thing I checked and it didn't seem to be the problem so I started freaking out thinking it was the carb or something! But I didn't really look at the exhaust so that's a great tip ill have to remember. For now im just really happy my lil trucks back on the road and it didn't cost me much. Hope all well up North buddy! Spring is coming!!!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  5. Bill

Bill New Member

the little spring on the choke linkage has broke on mine and I would like to know if any body might know where to get the sprocket and the spring.