1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

98 and prior vs 99 and newer?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Trickster, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Hi to all, this is my first post here. My question as I am close to a purchase is, can anyone briefly explain the pros or cons of a 99 vs a 98 or older Carry? Other than cab shape are there other differences. Are they better or as in some cases, worse than previous generations because of the change?
    Real close to buying, and with the 99's now available here in Canada, should I consider one?
    Thanks in advance.
    Rick

2. woodhe1

woodhe1 Member

'98 and older have a carburetor.

'99+ are EFI

dan

3. Trickster

Trickster New Member

I did not know that. Seeing how they are the "newest" available here, there is a bit of a price jump to go to the 99's.
    Waiting for warmer weather to test drive one, will see if it makes much of a difference.
    Thanks,

Rick

4. Trickster

Trickster New Member

So, other than EFI and a larger cab, any other items to note?
    Rick

5. rix

rix New Member

Did you buy anything? I am wondering the same thing. Thinking of upgrading from my 93 to the 99. EFI could be nice, and the front wheels farther ahead looks like a HUGE improvement.

6. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The Transition years for newer truck

Rix,

The transition years are 99 and 2000. By that there were a lot of changes that are found only in those years. They (Suzuki) were switching for the F6A engine to the K6A. So injection was added to a F6A engine, heads were changed and basically there are a lot of differences. This translates to problems with parts when bought from some suppliers. Another problem that is prevalent on the Suzuki's is the throttle body, Lots and lots of failures with it. But, since there is little choice in Canada my comments are only meant to inform and that things got better from 2002 and on.

Feel free to contact us any time with questions.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  7. parkland

parkland New Member

I am also curious, see lots of 2000+ trucks for sale, basically same price as older 90's trucks.

Would the fuel injected units give better fuel economy?

How old do they have to be to drive them on the road in canada?