1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Suzuki

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Ada5771, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Ada5771

Ada5771 New Member

I posted this under the general forum, but i figured i might get more info posting it on here

Hi i just purchased a 2001 Suzuki carry and i am having a few issues with. I am far from a mechanic so please bear with me. I read a few forms on here about burping and i think this is something i may need to do. This is what the truck is doing... after about 3-5 min of the truck idling the coolant fluid level in the reservoir starts to increase and to the point to where it overflows from the vent on the reservoir tank cap. once i turn the truck off and everything cools down the fluid level goes back down in the reservoir to the max fluid level line. Could this just be from over filling the coolant reservoir because i added fluid or do i need to "burp" it? Or is my thermostat not working properly?

Also i believe my clutch pate fingers has gone out.. I slowly started to notice it hitting a hard spot when trying to put the truck into gear from the stationary position. Seemed to shift find when on the move from 1st to 2nd and so on... With the clutch pushed in i would almost have to force it into gear.(No grinding was occurring just took some force to get it into gear) Now it will not go into gear at all when the clutch is pushed in. I checked all cables on the clutch and they are good. I am also getting the normal pressure when i press the clutch in.

Lastly are these trucks designed to rev higher when the clutch is not pressed in? it seems like when i press my clutch in my engine revs down some and when i let it out in neutral it revs up. Is this normal?

Thanks,
    Drew

2. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Generally the burping is for when the cooling system has been drained and refilled as they will air lock if not bled and or burped when refilling. This causes over heating because the air lock prevents circulation.If this has been going on since you bought the truck then it is possible that someone worked on the cooling system and didn't get it right.
    The clutch problems sound like you need to replace the clutch cover or pressure plate and while you're at it would be advisable to replace everything. It should rev more freely with the pedal depressed.

3. Ada5771

Ada5771 New Member

Thanks Jim! I have not spent enough time to determine the coolant overflow issue yet but the little investigation i did during the incident i notice the temperature gauge did not every get over half way. This is why i am thinking i may have just added to much coolant. I was just not sure what would cause the fluid level in the reservoir tank to rise and over flow like it was doing? I plan on changing the entire clutch assembly out for sure just to be safe. Any other advice on things to check for feel free to advise.

Thanks,
    Drew

4. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Actually, the way you are doing it is probly the most expensive, and :frustration: way to do it.

Way back when, people didn't order new pressure plates and clutch disks, they just reworked what they had. The money is in the splines/springs.
    You can get your old disk religned for about $50 bucks, and if the plate needs it, resurfaced for another 50. I never have reworked a pressure plate, but if you do, just get a thicker lining...1mm or whatever. It's not really that big of a deal.
    Clutch disk, brake shoes, pads..all can be relined,
    The catch is, it takes a week. The idea behind replacements is that you have them, and you swap in one day.
    I reline.

Get some miles on it for the overflow, but that could just be a rad cap..or nothing, like you said.

5. Ada5771

Ada5771 New Member

Thanks Spaner the clutch will be covered by the previous owner because it was gone when i bought it. He is paying for a clutch kit replacement. I know Zero about these trucks and just want to keep my eye out for any issue that may need to be fixed before it gets worst. The Coolant overflow was just making me worried because it was pooring out of the reservoir vent onto the ground once the engine heated up may be a bad thermostat hopefully not a blown head. Due to the clutch issue i could not drive it around and i did not think to let it heat up enough to trigger the thermostat. That will be my next step to make sure the system works properly. Hopefully its nothing major. Also since im not the best at carburetors i will have the shop check out the high rev/idle to see it this is a problem or simple how it is meant to operate.

6. woodhe1

woodhe1 Member

If your unit has a carb, it is not an '01. Suzuki went to EFI in '99

7. Ada5771

Ada5771 New Member

Thanks wood didn't know that! maybe that is why it is idling high but that will make it all the more reason its out of my fixing capabilities for now