1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to open rear diff on 91 carry??

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by jasondyck, Mar 21, 2014.

1. jasondyck

jasondyck New Member

Trying to open rear diff on a 91 carry...how the heck???? Opens from drive shaft side...do I need to remove rims and axle spline? ?

2. LCCRUISER

LCCRUISER Member

I'm new to these vehicles. I was crawling under mine the other day while pulling the starter and noticed that it appears to have a drop out diff like a Ford 9" or the Toyota Land Cruisers and Trucks. IMHO, that's a good thing.

In any case, you will likely need to remove the wheels and whatever holds the axles in at the end of the axle tubes to remove the diff. Vehicles with solid axles engage the diff within the confines of the pumpkin, so you cqn't pull a diff on most vehicles without first getting the axles pulled out an inch or whatever it takes to disengage them from the spiders.

These trucks have semi-floating rear axles so there is probably a flange that retains the seal and bearing that needs to be unbolted on the axle housing end to allow movement (or removal) of the axle shaft. Be careful to not damage the seal as you slide things out. If there are signs of leaking there, you should replace the seal to avoid contamination of brake component.

Why do you need to pull the diff?

greg0187 likes this.
  3. jasondyck

jasondyck New Member

thanks...got it. blew the rear end and needed to remove and replace...