1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!! Sambar has new battery but no power!!!

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by obiwan, Mar 23, 2014.

1. obiwan

obiwan New Member

I have a 1994 Subaru Sambar which we bought last September.
    We drove it home (20 miles ) and parked it up with the intention of doing it up over the winter months ready for summer.
    However, we didnt have chance to look at it until a few weeks back and found the sambar would not start and there was no electric power at all.
    We thought the battery had died so just got a brand new one, I've fitted it cleaned the connections and still no power at all !!!

Is there a master fuse that could have blown? if so where can I find it?

The sambar had all the electrics working on the drive home!!

2. woodhe1

woodhe1 Member

3 fuses above and behind the battery box.

dan @ woodysminitrucks

3. obiwan

obiwan New Member

I have searched all around the battery box and cant find anything that resembles a fuse or fuse box !!!

Does anyone have a link to an image of what I am looking for ?

I have the master fuse box under the steering wheel but they are only the fuses for horn, indicators, tail light etc

4. Smabarwala

Smabarwala New Member

In 2003 Sambar Van, its adjacent to battery as shown in attached image. If you have the same fuse box, the fuse labeled "Main" might be the cause of this problem.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  5. sambarvw

sambarvw New Member

Hi all, unbelievably I too bought a Subaru Sambar VW style (A 1995) in September last year - All was working in November when I parked it under my car port (which has gates but not airtight) - and went to start it a few weeks ago and .....NO Power.

To cut a long story short - are we saying there are two fuse boxes in these Sambars?

I have found the one underneath the left of the steering wheel (All fuses look ok to me, but I am considering changing them all !!) , but I cannot locate the one by the battery.

Looking at your schematic drawing Smbarwala, are there two possible locations for this second fuse box? It seems to suggest that it could be in the back of the van instead (I have looked, but cannot find it).

USEFUL bit of translation info for OBIWAN for the fuse box under the steering wheel as I guess you too have a Japanese Import as you live in Wales

http://subarusambarforum.myfanforum.org/archive/fuse-box-translation__o_t__t_30.html

Have you tried using the Force obiwan, LOL

6. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

Yep, there's two fuse boxes alright.

The main fuse box is right next to the battery (It might just be part of the cable) under a darth vader looking cap, if I recall. There should be two fuses in there, a 60A and a 30/40A (Truck/Van)
    Then there's the accessory fuse box in the cab, next to the steering column.

Does your horn work? Your horn and brake lights should go through the both fuse boxes, but not through the key/ignition switch. If you're not getting power at your horn, then you very likely have a battery/contact/main fuse issue.

I would occasionally have similar issues, due to corroded battery clamps.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  7. sambarvw

sambarvw New Member

Thanks for the confirmation SpikeFiend I will take a look for Darth tomorrow because its a bit on the Dark Side here in the UK - I will check tomorrow when its light(saber) .

I already changed the positive battery clamp as it was corroded a few days ago because I had already checked my battery power and all was ok. I will maybe change the negative too as an easy next step.

8. obiwan

obiwan New Member

Did you find the Darth Vader fuse?
    I'm going to have another look this weekend so any photos to guide me would be most useful

ps my Jedi powers have been reduced dramatically these past years as wine diminishes the power of midiclorians over time :)

9. sambarvw

sambarvw New Member

Sorry guys, the empire made me work so not really had too much time, and my torch(saber) ran out of batteries so the dark side took over with all the storm(troopers) we have been getting recently.

Joking aside - I think I have seen a clip or junction of some sort, but not sure it is the one we are looking for

If you are standing outside the passenger side of your Sambar looking through the battery compartment, follow the positive lead about 3 or 4 inches under the centre console (towards the drivers side) there seems to be a clip/junction. Unfortunately I did not have time to whip out the battery before my torch died completely.

I think it may be easier to reach from the underside..... I will update with the progress as soon as I can

10. obiwan

obiwan New Member

I found it !!!!!!!!!!!
    Under the gear change / stick there is a square panel, I popped this off and there was the second fuse box!!!!
    The 60a fuse had blown so I popped the 40a in and turned the key - she fired up second time and now everything is working.
    Replacement 60a fuse is £2.50 free delivery so happy days :)

Thanks for all the help

May the force be with you fellow Sambar Jedi

11. sambarvw

sambarvw New Member

Well done!!!

WELL DONE!!! I will look for it myself this weekend - just been too busy with work- THANKS OBIWAN - THE FORCE IS STILL STRONG WITH YOU

12. obiwan

obiwan New Member