1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any advise or direction would be MUCH appreciated

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by okaufman, Mar 23, 2014.

1. okaufman

okaufman Member

photo3.jpg photo2.jpg photo1.JPG I'm not really a mechanic but have been tinkering with my Mini trying to get it running good since I bought 5-6 years ago only because nobody in my area will work on these trucks!

It's a 88 Suzuki 550CC 4WD. I used it in the winters to plow snow, and all year round for transportation....small local trips to home depot...etc.... that sort of stuff.

When I first got it, it had off-road tires so I really couldn't do more than 20MPH because it was really nosey. Since then I put regular street tires on it and even got plates so I'm able to drive it on the roads here. When I put the street tires on I realized the truck was running pretty weak so I replaced the plugs, rotor, cap, fuel filter, wires and air filter. Basically a full tune up.

It really made a huge difference and I was driving the truck all over the place...even on expressways. It took a while to get some speed but it was not horrible once I got going...I could maintain 50MPH. Been this way for 3-4 years.

Now on to the problem....This winter the truck runs REALLY weak.......

The truck starts fine more or less....I let it warm up.....and it runs idle just fine. It will idle all day if you let it.

Once you try and start to drive it.......it barley moves. I have to basically floor the gas pedal and let out the clutch real slow......I will start gaining a little speed.......get rolling..... and coast at like 10-15mph. The more I force it to drive faster the slower it seems to go. I have to drop to a lower gear sometimes just to get some momentum....and cannot go anywhere near the speeds I use to be able to which makes it impossible to drive on roads with traffic.

I changed the plugs.....cleaned out the air filter....put a fresh fuel filter...and still nothing. I can barley make it up my driveway and my driveway is not very steep.

Seems like it's got the fuel and the spark but not the momentum. Is there a problem with my cluctch? I have no idea if it would be related.

Anyone have any ideas or have seen this before?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  2. the pou

the pou Member

One thing that is fairly easy to check, is your carburator slide gate.when you step on the gas, the vacuum activate
    A rubber diaphragm that open the slide gate, and open the MAIN JET.If you have Pin-holes or tear on the
    Diaphragm, the main jet will not open.the small jet takes care of the idle.
    There is a square plate on top of the carb, take out the 4screws, cafull, there is a spring inside, then just take out
    The spring ,and the gate.inspect the diaphragm.there is a small plastic thing that hold the needle inside the
    Gate, make sure it is ok.

3. LCCRUISER

LCCRUISER Member

Do the RPM's seem to climb even as the truck slows down in the top gears? (You should be able to tell by sound even without a tach.) Does the truck seem to have good power in the lower gears and accelerate OK?

If the answer is yes, the clutch is probably toast. (Most vehicles will slip the clutch in the high gear when they go bad. In lower gears, there's enough friction to engage because of the gear reduction.)

I don't know if the linkage is adjustable. If it is, then maybe that can be adjusted. If not, you probably will need a new clutch replacement. There are some sources that are relatively inexpensive if you need one. Not that hard to replace if you can do it yourself.r

The one on mine doesn't slip, but it doesn't take much depression of the pedal to disengage it. Mine has just under 25K MILES, not sure how long they typically last. Anyone else know?

4. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

I replaced a clutch on a Daihatsu last fall and I'm 99% sure it had the original equipment.
    Truck had about 80000kms on it.
    How long will they last ? It all depends on how its driven, if you ride the clutch pedal or slip the clutch while shifting?
    Okaufam, If you have the rpms I'm with the above post in saying its the clutch.
    While sitting there with a tiny bit of idle put the truck into 4 / 5 gear and let the clutch pedal out fast,
    if it stalls out quickly your clutch is most likely ok, if it does not stall, the clutch is slipping. Some folks like to use the park brake while doing it.

5. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Like Terry says it depends on use or abuse,I replaced the clutch on my Scrum at 130,000 km because the throw out bearing was getting noisy and there was around 25% lining left on the old one.These trucks are so light that they are pretty easy on clutches.

6. Skidoobuddy

Skidoobuddy New Member

I just bought a 1995 Hijet with a 54" snow blower attachment with 22000km. Three weeks after receiving it we had a huge snowfall. I know that I worked the mini truck too hard because I could smell the clutch burning. My fault I know (first big snowfall and learning the limits of both the blower and the mini truck). My question is should I try adjusting the clutch first or replace the full clutch assembly or just the clutch disk?

7. TRAX and HORNS

You will have a little adjustment if it hasnt been used up already. Then depends on how hard and how long it slipped. May have scored the clutch face.
    I would try adjustment first.
    Clutch replacement is pretty easy on daihatsu's. Tranny weighs about 80lbs. If and when you do it change it certainly replace clutch, disk, throwout bearing. Inspect pilot bearing close and use it if you think its ok. Ive done several Dahatsu clutches and never changed the pilot because there appeared to be no wear. I do put a little bitty dab of grease in the pilot before installing. Ive talk to a number a guys and they said the same thing.

8. Skidoobuddy

Skidoobuddy New Member

Excellent advice TRAX! Thanks!

9. Skidoobuddy

Skidoobuddy New Member

Hey Trax, another question. Is there a hi and low in the 4 WD?

10. TRAX and HORNS

Yes, high low is pretty common.