1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sputtering...93 Suzuki Carry DD51T...ideas?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by jasondyck, Mar 26, 2014.

1. jasondyck

jasondyck New Member

to start I have gone over my vac lines and after many hours searching and with all your help I believe I have them in correct places...thanks!! I have changed the air filter, fuel filter, plugs, rotor and cap. Truck starts well but sputters....not a smooth idle. When I put in gear and begin to release the clutch its like she wants to stall so I compensate with more gas or in other words like riding the clutch...once in gear and moving seems to run fine at town and highway speeds. I noticed black spit coming from the tail pipe as you can see a bit of black spray on concrete after starting it. Also to me seems to smoke a bit much...Any thoughts on what to do? Not sure if carb needs adjusting or not or if maybe I still have a slight vac leak....vac leak I will test shortly but I got a feeling its something else....Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

2. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

As with most vehicles some condensation is normal coming from tail pipe until it gets up to temp.
    Black smoke indicates running rich. Id rather have black than blue. Choke may be hanging up, air filter clogged, carb. needs adjusting/rebuilt, floats sticking
    Kinda like to your pick? Try a dose of straight seafoam from fuel line, when you know carb. has nothing but seafoam in it let it sit for half a day and see what happens with good fuel.

3. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

What Terry said,also with my Scrum I just use it around my property as a work truck and mostly just to haul me around so the tail pipe is really black and drips condensation but it runs good.With my Hijet I run into town and always warm it up good whenever I use it and it too has a pretty black pipe and drips and the choke on it is disabled so I tend to think that's just the nature of the 3 banger.As for the sputtering it could be anything but the seafom trick like Terry said is probably your best bet to start.Letting it sit with it in the carb will do a lot more good than just running it through in the fuel.