1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting The 1995 Honda Acty Running Finally

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by TRAX and HORNS, Apr 3, 2014.

1. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Gees La Weeeez:( Headache, finger nails bit to the quick, hair pulled out ect. and now it puuuuurs like a kitten.
    This is the second Honda I have had in inventory ever since Ive been messing with these mini trks. Honestly cant wait to get another one because when they are running right, having the 12 valve motor and nice suspension I LIKE IT.
    Havnt tested in the pasture yet but I'm confident It will do the job.
    This truck had been sitting for several yrs. in Dallas,Tx. I got it in my hands about a yr. ago. Started messing with it on and off about 6 months ago. Got it running but it would never idle right and put it on the back burner till a couple of weeks ago.
    Start to finish, Pull fuel tank clean it, flush through fuel system from tank to carb, new fuel filter,
    new fuel pump(49.95 1 psi fuel pump works great), new air filter, changed all vacuum lines on carb., plugs look good nice tan color.
    Truck ran great at mid range to upper range but still couldnt get it to idle. It would run fine with the idle set around 1200 to 1400 rpms, anything below that it shut off. So I ordered a new rebuilt carb. from Yokahama Motors :eek: and installed it. Same exact thing, mid to high rpm running perfect, try to idle it and it dies. (350.00 + down the drain on the carb. Hmmm price of doing business??:frustration:).
    So I get the new seafoam that comes in a aerosol can and start shooting into vacuum lines that tie into intake manifold, right behind the carb. spacer between intake manifold. There are three vacuum hose ports that are hard line and make 90 degree turns.
    As soon as I started feeding the sea foam in those vacuum ports I could tell the idle difference. I used half a can and the idle kept getting better. I believe they were most likely carbon up. Idle was 80 % now and I wanted more. Finally I could get the idle down to around 700/800 but it was still rough. Added two gals. of fuel and a good dose of sea foam in fuel tank and went out on the road and ran the piss out it for about two miles. When I pulled back in the shop the idle was 1500 or better, up from the rough 7/800 rpms I was at before I left for test run. About two min. later the idle went up a little more. So I started turning it down then down some more , then a little more and finally set idle around 7-800. The rough idle was totally gone. Engine sounded great, idle smooth as a babies butt :cool:.
    So my final observation in this matter was not so much the carb. but vacuum lines leaking, possible fuel filter, and the hard line vacuum ports going into intake manifold clogged up.
    I have no ideal how many hrs. I got into this but I learned a few things. The 1 psi fuel pumps (two wire) will no doubt work. They dont have the mounting bracket but use your imagination to mount them. (IMO Four psi fuel pumps dont work, to much fuel for carb. engines), Vacuum lines need to be replaced period....
    Vacuum lines were kinda funny, the old ones looked good but 95% leaked. You have 10 vacuum lines leaking a tiny bit and that equals to one big leak.
    No doubt the some carbs. have to be rebuilt. Ive sent off more Suz carbs. for rebuilds than any other truck so far.
    Hope this helps.

2. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Well once again you have proven that it is the simple things that get you as you have said time and again.I hope everyone having problems getting their trucks tuned read this post and realize how important those pesky vacuum lines are.It is really hard for most of us to accept the importance of something so small and seemingly inconsequential but they really are a big deal to these little trucks.
    Good Job again.

3. TRAX and HORNS

The problem is that you can pull that old vacuum line look at it and it looks good. But that sucker will have leakage, its like the rubber material
    is porous.

4. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

That's for sure and that's why I have started using silicone tubing on my stuff. You can buy it reasonably priced on the net and it fits nuch better than the neoprene that most of us are used to.

5. TRAX and HORNS

Mr. Jim you have a contact info. for those silicone tubings?
    You are right we have 5 different sizes of vacuum lines and they will work but are a pain sometimes.

6. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

It's boostcontroller.com,I posted it in Tips and Tricks a while back, I bought the 3mm size and it fits everything I've found.It is also super flexible so you can make the tight bends you sometimes need without kinking.

7. TRAX and HORNS

Thanks Jim. Some of the American vacuum hoses are just a little bit to small of when making them up. I think in time they will split sooner for being so tight.

8. shogun

shogun Active Member

I often use fuel hoses as vacuum hoses, just in case you cannot find the right size, just use fuel hose.

9. TRAX and HORNS

Thats a thought. They will certainly last longer.