1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raising or Lifting the Gas Tank / Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by LCCRUISER, Apr 9, 2014.

1. LCCRUISER

LCCRUISER Member

My Carry has a receiver hitch partially built out of exhaust pipe. My intent is to eventually replace this with something sturdier that can be used for light towing, a recovery point and a place to install a portable inch mount.

At the same time, I'd like to lift that low hanging fuel tank into a position that is higher off the ground to improve departure angle and reduce the possibility of a puncture. It would also move the tank higher than the differential which would be safer in the event of being rear-ended (think Ford Pinto). I'll also be adding a skidplate to the bottom of the tank that will wrap up both fore and aft. I haven't decide whether or not to retain the option of keeping a spare below the tank, but that may be an option. Perhaps I will retain spare tire mounting

I've searched high and low and only found one old and incomplete thread on the subject of raising the tank. It would seem to me to be relatively simple, but there's no sense reinventing the wheel if someone has already done it, especially if it has been well documented with pictures.

One problem I foresee is the fuel filler routing. The opening has to remain above the top of the tank. As you can see in the attached image, there isn't much clearance between the bed and the gas cap and there is also frame rail interference. Although the bed could be notched, moving the gas cap up too high would interfere with lowering the bedside. I would rather not lift the bed as that raises the center of gravity, especially with a load. Placing the filler port within the bed doesn't make any sense either even if it was hidden under a cover in the bed.

I'm open to suggestions. If anyone has input or knows of a similar thread, I would appreciate a reply.

LC

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Besides relocating it I'm not sure. I've done some pretty hard core wheeling and have never come close to hitting anything. The front on the otherhand...

3. Arcticmini

Arcticmini Member

Make a skid plate for your fuel tank out of 3/16 metal like I did for my suzuki and your fuel tank will be protected. I can't add any images. I don't know why. Theres pictures in my profile.

4. LCCRUISER

LCCRUISER Member

That would protect the tank, but it is still an anchor that affects departure angle. In an ideal situation, there wouldn't be anything extending behind the vertical plane of the back of the rear tires that wasn't above the top of the tire.

5. LCCRUISER

LCCRUISER Member

I don't want to sound like I'm putting people down, I appreciate the input. My background is more hardcore 4 wheeling than the minis are probably capable of and some of you may be used to. I'm just looking to max mine out to see what it can do.

Approach and departure angles on these trucks aren't good at all. The short wheelbase gives a halfway decent break over angle.

The lack of wheel travel is a big problem, particularly in the front.

I hope to come up with some ideas to improve on these shortcomings.