1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ignition switch and key for a '91 honda acty

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by joe tx, Apr 10, 2014.

1. joe tx

joe tx New Member

Hello guys, lost my key to my '91 Acty PU.....Anyone know where I can buy a replacement switch? Just need the mechanical part and key. Anyone out there have a parts truck with the switch on it they would part with??? Thanks, Joe.

2. shogun

shogun Active Member

Ask a locksmith if he can make one for you. Some shops sell Honda Acty blank keys, but I just went to a locksmith and asked him to make a copy of the original key. That key is not complicated and no chips inside as drive away protection. I assume a clever locksmith can make yoou a key without the original.
    Or if you were really lucky somebody was smart enough to write down the numbers on keys when car was new! New keys have a little tab on them -- with these numbers - a locksmith can set up cutting machine to cut new key. There is a place in owners manual where it tells you to do this on most cars, and some people actually write those numbers down.
    Of course also a Honda dealer could order for you a new key based on the VIN.

3. Borg

Borg Member

I went to Home Hardware, and they made me a new key... $4 or so.

It's an Ilco HD103-P

[​IMG]

4. joe tx

joe tx New Member

Thanks for the info. Don't have a local locksmith, but I checked with one at a bigger town and he said that the blank he had wasn't long enough??? Google search shows that the HD103-P fits other Hondas. I'll see if one of those other applications fits in my lock and take one of those back to the locksmith.

Anyone know how to take out the door lock. My PU is at the lease and haven't checked that out. Guess I'll take my tool box to the ranch and see if I can pull the door lock so I can also take it to the locksmith...Thanks, Joe.

Ilco HD103-P KEY BLANKS
    1995 - 1998 CL,1995 - 1998 TL, 1990 - 1999 INTEGRA

Honda,HD103-P
    This blank is also equivalent to other manufacturers part numbers, including:
    o Cole HD103R
    o Curtis HD-103PH
    o Ilco HD103-P
    o Ilco EZ HD103-P
    o Jet HD103-PH
    o JMA HOND-16D.P
    o Silca HON58RDP

5. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

6. joe tx

joe tx New Member

Finally got a locksmith to make a couple of keys for me. Took the ignition and the one door lock that worked before and the new keys opened both. Great. Only cost $50. New question, the lock on the door that worked was on the left door or passengerside. The driver's side wouldn't open with the key. Does anyone know if these door locks are interchangeble from left to right or am I going to have to take the none working lock back to the locksmith and have it re-keyed.....$40 more to do this and a couple of trips out of town....Thanks, Joe.

7. shogun

shogun Active Member

How did you remove the mechanical part = tumbler of the ignition lock? Last week I had the problem that I could not remove the key from the ignition lock. The key got stuck. So we have the positions Lock-Accessory-On-Start.
    I unlocked the car, used the key to drive, when I stopped at a shop, I could move the switch to stop the engine (automatic trans in parked position of course) and the foot on the brake pedal as usual. I could move the key basically in all posiitons ACC, On, Start, just not remove the key. That means push the key further in that the cylinder/tumbler slides a bit down and then one can turn the key to the left to lock and pull the key out.
    After some fiddling I got it out and when I drove home the same problem at home. Also then I finally got it out. Then I tried another key just to make sure that the key was not the issue. Same problem.
    Then I used graphite oil and switch the key many times so that all got lubed, so far seems to be o.k., maybe it was just the cold. But apparently that seems to be a Honda, and not only a Honda problem, I found this instruction:
    How to Get a Stuck Key Out of a Honda Ignition
    Occasionally, the steering wheel lock will cause the key to stick in the ignition, making it very difficult, if not impossible to remove. This is very common with many types of vehicles, and a simple method exists to remove the key quickly and easily
    Ensure that the vehicle is off and in "Park" or "Neutral." If the vehicle is in gear or running, the key cannot be removed.
    Place your left hand on the top of the steering wheel and place your right hand on the key.
    Wiggle the steering wheel left and right, and attempt to turn the key into a different position, such as the "Accessory" or "On" position. Continue until the key moves freely.
    Turn the key back to the "Off" position, then pull the key out of the ignition
    Well, that is the general info from ehow dot com and we know it all.

The question is how does the tumbler come out on my Acty?
    I know how to do it on my old BMW, there it is like this: You need to insert the key and turn it approx 55 to 60 degrees. Get a thin allen key or stiff piece of wire and insert it into the hole - the hole should now be "open" whereas it was closed in key position "0". The depth of insertion is just about spot on 20mm. When the wire is inserted it retracts a small metal catch from the side of the barrel, enabling you to extract it by pulling on the key. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5JYSb6e_Hw

But how to on the Acty, there is no hole around the area where the key goes in: On the internet for the Integra they mention
    - there is a little button you press in. The key needs to be in the ON position and the security screw needs to come out.
    -At least on a 92-95, you have to have it on accessory, push a small pin in on the side and after you pull it out part way, there is a metal clip you have to pry up to release the tumbler the rest of the way. I had the key to do this, you may have to use a screw or bolt. You can repin the new tumbler to use the old key.
    -You don't pry the pin out, you push it in with a small screwdriver/punch/etc. After you pull the cylinder out part way, there's a arm with a hood and that gets pried up. Looking at the column from the side, at 11 o'clock there's the pin that is pushed in. It will only push in if you're in accessory. Then pull the cylinder out, again, only if you're in accessory. Next, at about 3 o'clock, there's a metal arm you just pry up with a screwdriver. It's not hard. And it should be out now.

That is for the Integra, how is it for the Acty tumbler?

It works now, but I want to remove it and check it, if possible.

Edit: this shows a Honda ingition lock repair, but from the key they show that is a more complicated one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T01989YN2Ew
    http://jp-carparts.com/honda/part_d...TY TRUCK&cartype=30824&fig=B&fig1=1100&fig2=1

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  8. Johanlee

Johanlee New Member

You can search on ebay, generally speaking, you can find your wanted items. I just know honda engine parts seller - maxspeedingrods. If you want to change turbo, rods, coilovers it may help you.

9. shogun

shogun Active Member

Are you a spammer making advertisement for maxspeedingrods? That is not the question, I live in Japan and can get all the parts from my Honda parts dealer 3 miles away.
    The question is: how to remove the tmbler out of the ignition lock?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015