1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smokin big time

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by GOTDRIVEN, Apr 27, 2014.

1. GOTDRIVEN

GOTDRIVEN New Member

Just bought 2, thats two 96 minicabs... #1 is a 5sp 35000klm (hemi head) spark plug in valve cover, power steering, #2 4sp 55000klm head has spark plugs below valve cover, both 4wd, ... they sat for two years till i brought them home to sacramento ca... did the seafoam after i got batteries for them.. drove them around the neighborhood ... smokin, smokin , smokin... changed the oil, added more gas to cut down the seafoam.. to no avail... still smokin...now the plugs do not seam to be firinig good.. changed plugs... ran sum more.... seams to be getting worst.. water temp is good, no oil in water, good green fluid in both, no bubbles in radiator, there is a bit of pressure in the engine, when i pulled the dot stick out and placed my finger over the hole for a frw sec. , it seemed to pressurize a bit, ... so could this account for the oil being forsed up into the combustion chamber? are the rings not seated any more, is there a stuck emmisions pump blowing air into the engine...they both shifted well running down the road both in low and high.. both got to about 60 kph... Smokin in sacto:frustration:

2. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

After my experiences with these little trucks I would just run them for a while and give them a chance to free up after sitting that long.You may have to do valve seals but I wouldn't get in too big a hurry.

3. GOTDRIVEN

GOTDRIVEN New Member

ok jim... changed oil and filter, spark plugs, started right up.. however smokin still.. will do a couple of miles tomorrow in the neighborhood.. from what i have read on this forum, others have had simlier problems, thanks for your imput.. and is that location you live in socal? i am in Loomis Ca

4. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Thats is why I stay away from Mitsubishi anything(mini trks/cars/forklifts). Every Mits Ive looked at to buy over the last 7 yrs. IMHO has had smoke. Most of them had 60 to 80kms.
    However I know a handful of guys that own them and pretty much use them on a ranchs or hunting rigs and they would rather give you one of their kids before they let go of the Mits. mini trk. Its either weak valves or weak valve seals.
    But hey, they all have some little issues with some miles on them, Suzuki's leak oil around cam seal and head gasket, Daihatsu's have a little valve tapping noise unless you reset them.

5. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Yes I'm in San Diego county in the avocado country.

6. okiecat

okiecat Member

I have a 98 that smokes and uses about 6oz of oil per tank of fuel. I finally got mad and pulled engine and complete overhaul. Now the damn thing heats and my hand got it hot and it wont start. Pulling motor again today. I need a replacement motor with 100 hp. Options? Mine had 36k miles when I got it. Used it one winter. If yours is running I would sell it fast!!!

7. okiecat

okiecat Member

Oh forgot mine still smokes?

8. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

That fine red sand in OK. will make anything smoke if its not filtered out.

9. okiecat

okiecat Member

Yep, but Im going to get to the bottom of this think this time. Dont mean to hijack tread,but this think is killing me