1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mitsubishi U62T problems

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by wildbill48, May 4, 2014.

1. wildbill48

wildbill48 New Member

Hi, I'm new here, and have a problem I hope someone can help me with. have an '01 fuel injected u62T. needed an overhaul awhile ago. after the overhaul, it would miss on 1 cylinder for seconds to a minute or 2 depending on how cold it was. went on for several months when one day the heat guage pegged out hot. very low radiator, and I had a hard time getting it to take coolant, acted air locked? finally got topped off, but after driving a week happened again. No leaks, no puddles. missing got worse. took it back to the mechanic, said it didn't do it there..but he didn't drive it much. another big repair bill for tune up...got it home, and the missing got worse, to where it would hardly start, spit, sputter, fart, finally go. after maybe 100 miles, heat guage pegged out again. low again. aren't these symptoms of a leaky head gasket or cracked head? mechanic doesn't want to believe it, cuz it may have been his fault...didn't do this before the overhaul. I think we need to convice him to take the head back off and check things....any other possibilities?
    thanks in advance.

2. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Is the oil gaining volume? Oil in coolant ? Exhaust smell sweet ? Got any smoke ?
    Might do a cold compression test on each cyl ? Thermostat stinking ? Take it out and see if it over heats ?
    Might have a head gasket issue.

3. wildbill48

wildbill48 New Member

thanks for the tips..nope, don't think there's any oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil. have never seen any leaks. so where's the coolant going? other than through the combustion chambers? If it sits for very long especially overnight it hardly starts...maybe coolant seeped into the cylinders? there is some white smoke when first starting, but really haven't noticed a sweet burning anti freeze smell.
    I still suspect a bad head gasket, wrong one, installed wrong, warped head....
    when the radiator was still full....I'd check coolant level in the morning when everything cold, and it was still pressurized? doesn't seem "normal", either.