1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

checking oil in a honda acty

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by Jerry, May 5, 2014.

1. Jerry

Jerry New Member

After a long period of sitting like 3 hours when the dipstick is removed it shows 1/2 full when wiped and inserted and threaded to the lock position then removed it shows overfull.which is the correct reading!!!

2. Borg

Borg Member

Run it for a few minutes, turn it off, then check it after a minute or so.

I measure my oil when I change it... I always put exactly 3 quarts in it, and it measures 1/3 up the hatch marks.

That's oil + filter... if you put 3 liters in, it should measure just about to the top of the hatching.

3. shogun

shogun Active Member

My 1988 BMW owners manual mentions, and this can be also used for our trucks:

Checking the engine oil
    1 Park the vehicle on a level surface
    2 Shut the engine off after it has reached normal operating temperature
    3 After approx. 5 minutes, pull the dipstick out and wipe it off with a clean lint-free cloth, paper towel, or similar material
    4 Push the dipstick all the way into the guide tube and pull it out again
    5 The oil level should be in between the two graduations on the dipstick.

Important: Engine operating conditions can also influence the oils condition. For instance, continuously stopping and starting the engine with very small operating cycles can cause condensation inside the engine. An extreme case of this will cause very rapid oil deterioration, and will require frequent oil changes.

4. Jerry

Jerry New Member

thxs shogun and borg im a old mechanic that works mainly on harley motorcycles.good to have informative info!!!!

5. Borg

Borg Member

Just make sure you put 3L + Filter when you change it, and check it the same way each time.

6. shogun

shogun Active Member

My manual says 2.5 liters without oil filter change and 2.7 liters with filter change.
    10W30 all year round in temperatures -20 --- >plus 40 degree Celsius
    0W20 in very cold areas
    5W30 and 5W40 is also mentioned