1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speedo cable acting up

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by shogun, May 7, 2014.

1. shogun

shogun Active Member

Looks like the speedometer drive cable on my V-HA3 1997 Acty truck makes problem, the needle is not smooth but moving/swinging a bit to right and left at constant speed.
    78410-SJ6-020 CABLE ASSY., SPEEDOMETER 1 JPY 6,129 USD 64.51
    http://jp-carparts.com/honda/part_d...TY TRUCK&cartype=30826&fig=B&fig1=1200&fig2=1
    That is pretty expensive for a 'unstable speedo needle. Asked a Japanese friend and he replied:
    "Acty speedometer trouble is coming from the rotary cable coming from under the car to dash cluster. People say just change this cable, then it is fixed. Do NOT buy a used one because everybody is telling there will be no grease inside, so a used speedo cable makes same trouble."

I found this demo pic on a BMW website, where usually the speed sensor pick up at the differential is dirty, that makes the same problem, just to show you what is the problem
    http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Electrical/Data/speedometer.gif

The moving of the needle on my Acty speedo is not (yet) that much, but I assume it will get worse over time. So the question:
    Did anybody ever repair / fix such a trouble without buying a new cable? Before I fork out $65, I want to try to repair it. Add grease? Or is that kind of bowden cable/spiral at th end of it's lifetime?

Juju1187 likes this.
  2. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

Juju1187 likes this.
  3. shogun

shogun Active Member

Master, thanks for the info. As you have done it already, give me some more details, please.
    Access from below the car or from top?
    I only found out I have to remove/push up a rubber boot and then squeeze a kind of clip to release the cable/sheath. Just had a brief look from the top after removing the engine cover, from viewpoint of looking forward to the front of the car there is on the left side a black bowden cable / sheath going into direction towards the transmission, is that the one? In case I have to do it from below, I will use 2 ramps for easier access.

Edit: just did an engine oil and filter change, did a test drive and the problem is gone. Looks like that was self healing, speedo needle is smooth again as it should be. There is no relation between engine oil change and the speedo drive.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  4. shogun

shogun Active Member

Winter is coming and it is getting colder = the old remaining grease inside the sheath is getting harder and it starts again to act up. Looks like I have to regrease it now before winter starts.
    OldMachinist or any other who has done it, can you answer my above questions, here copied:

Access from below the car or from top?
    I only found out I have to remove/push up a rubber boot and then squeeze a kind of clip to release the cable/sheath. Just had a brief look from the top after removing the engine cover, from viewpoint of looking forward to the front of the car there is on the left side a black bowden cable / sheath going into direction towards the transmission, is that the one? In case I have to do it from below, I will use 2 ramps for easier access.

Thanks for the help.

5. shogun

shogun Active Member

Here we go again, it is getting colder and grease get's harder and have to re-grease the sticky bowden cable. Same question as last year, I hope someone can reply who has done it already or knows:
    Access to the bowden cable on the transmission from below the car or from top?

6. shogun

shogun Active Member

to answer that question, comment by vtg yesterday:
    if the inner speedometer cable ( I usually call that part the cable core but not sure if that is the correct terminology) is complete and unbroken, you can easily pull it out from the transmission end of the cable and reinstall a new one the same way. Just remove the engine access panel from the cargo box floor to gain access to the transmission area. find the place where the cable enters the tranny. Then you pull a little c-clip type of clip from the cable base and just pull the cable out of the tranny. Be careful not to loose the clip!