1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

95 hijet front driveshaft always engaged

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by aknick, May 11, 2014.

1. aknick

aknick New Member

I have a 95 hijet s110p 4x4 with a 5 speed manual, a high low shifter, and push button 4 wheel drive on the panel. Should the front drive shaft always turn in 2wd high rannge? My service manual doesn't say anything about the transfercase. I know it locks into 4wheel when it goes into low range. The front end locks in and out with the button like it is supposed to and the 4 wheel drive works great. I checked the vacuum system on the transfercase, and it works. I switched the lines, then the 4x4 light wouldn't come on. I took off the cover of the vacuum actuator, jacked up the rear end and moved the shaft in and out. Still won't disengage. I know that when you put it into low the shaft in the actuator moves out so that must be 4wheel drive. When you push it back in or move the shifter to high, or mess with the switch, nothing changes with the driveshaft going to the front end. It stays locked with the rear drive shaft. Any knowledge of the system would be great! Thanks in advance there is a lot of great info and knowledgeable people on here!

Nick

2. AaronRS4

AaronRS4 Member

Im not 100% certain since I own an S83P, but I'm pretty sure that your 110 is the same in that the front drive shaft is always engaged from the transfer case to the front diff. regardless of being in 2wd or 4wd. If I recall correctly from other threads I've read on here, there is a vacuum actuator mounted either on or in your front diff. that basically locks your hubs when its in 4wd. I know the actuator on the S83P is external, but for some reason I recall reading that the 110 and 210 had a slightly different setup for the actuator, but it does the same thing. If you are having issues with the vacuum actuators, try replacing the hoses them selves. I know that I went through all of mine and replaced them all because they are known to be dry and cracked even if they look good. It sounds like from your posting that everything seemed to work fine, but you were concerned about the drive shaft being engaged all the time right? If so, I'd say yes its supposed to work that way, but then again, I don't have a 110, I'm just trying to recall what I've read. Best of luck!

3. cdover73

cdover73 Member

Im not sure, and have a s83p also, but mine was doing the same. I found the actuator on back of the t-case was seized. I freed it and now it works properly. I havent tried it yet, but im thinking that actuator engages/disengages the front drive shaft. If this is the case it should not turn in 2wd, although it may turn slowly from static friction. When I get my cv joints back together I will check it and let u know.

4. aknick

aknick New Member

Thanks for the tips AaronRS4. The front end works fine. The front actuator works great with the switch. Its the actuator on the tcase that doesn't seem to be working. Ive seen some posts on here that say the front shaft is supposed to turn, but i wonder what the actuator on the tcase is for then. Why does it move that shaft in and out? I haven't had a chance to take the back off of the transfer case yet but i will hopefully this week. When i jack up the rear end i use my hands to tell if the shaft is locked and its locked solid with the rear drive shaft.

Thanks cdover73 that is very helpful to know that yours was stuck. When i took off the actuator cover on the tcase i manually moved the actuator shaft in and out and it didn't make a difference, the driveshaft stayed locked with the rear end. i think it must be something internal. I definitely expect some movement from static, like any other 4x4. Please keep me posted on your results after its back together. Thanks again guys hopefully i can get this figured out! Best of luck with your trucks

5. cdover73

cdover73 Member

Look at the linkage the actuator on the t-case is attached to. The first connection has a cotter pin. Mine, as well as a few others on here, was stuck causing the linkage not to move. Hopefully its the same with yours and you dont have to tear into it. I replaced the cotter and squirted everything down with kroil. Works perfect now.

Erick Holland likes this.
  6. cdover73

cdover73 Member

Okay, I just checked mine and the front shaft DOES NOT turn in 2wd. You probably have a frozen linkage issue like I had. Get it freed and you should be fine.

7. Bwash

Bwash New Member

Can any of you guys help me. i have been trying to get some help for months. When installing my lift i popped the vaccum lines off my front diff. I cannot find (or read) any good vaccum diagrams that show me where to connect these vaccum lines. If you could take a pic of your lines it would be greatly appreciated. I have been guessing at hose combinations for months and just want to be able to trust my 4wd this weekend.

8. Timmeh45

Timmeh45 New Member

Did you ever figure out your issue ? My s110p is doing the same thing . Friction spin

9. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Looking at the diagrams in the manual, and looking at the truck, I would say that the actual gear set and one axle are always joined and the drive shaft will always turn if the truck moves.

To find out if the front driveshaft is always joined to one axle: Chock up the wheels, put the transmission and transfer case both in neutral, and try turning the drive shaft with the front wheels on the ground.

I think you won’t be able to turn the front drive shaft without the truck moving.

When you lock up the front end, there is a sleeve that slides on the free turning axle side, and locks it up so it has to turn with the other axle.

And put the information on your truck in your signature line. It makes it lasts easier to give sound advice if folks know what you’re talking about.