1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4wd button not working....kinda

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by cdover73, May 12, 2014.

1. cdover73

cdover73 Member

My hi/lo/4wd shifter has a problem. I know it is supposed to work like this; in hi, you should be able to select 4wd by pushing the button which activates the solenoid mounted under the driver seat in front of the radiator with all the vacuum lines thus engaging the actuator on the front axle. It automatically engages the actuator when you pull the shifter up into low. That part works like it's supposed to. This is what I have found so far:
    I have 12v power from the button to the solenoids. I can hear it clicking and some release of vacuum as they actuate, but it does not engage the front axle. I removed the vacuum manifold and checked each line for blockage, as well as with the manifold itself. Everything seemed okay, but there were 3 lines that I could not blow through. I'm not sure if they open and close with the solenoids or if they are supposed to open all the time. I traced them to the metal lines that wrap around to the frame and go to the back of the truck. I also verified the acuator is clear and operates properly.

What else could be keeping the button from working? Electrical is fine, vacuum seems okay, actuator is good and works properly when shifted to low. And, what else does that vacuum manifold operate? There are four solenoids, but only two appear to be going to the 4wd acutator. What are the other two for?

cdover73

2. cdover73

cdover73 Member

Oops!!! Ahem....cough, cough... Can somebody please help me out and take a picture or else some form of explaining of which vacuum lines go where on the vacuum/solenoid manifold under the drivers seat?!! I disconnected mine and thought I had a good picture beforehand, but I missed about three lines and now can't seem to get them back where they're supposed to be. I lost my lo actuation of the front end, which was working before, and now I hear vacuum escaping from the manifold when I kill the engine so I have a couple crossed.

I have the diagram from the resource section, but it also "covers up" the very lines I need to know about. Go figure! In the meantime I will try different configs to see if I can luck up.

Thanks,

cdover73

Update* Cancel this...I got it reconnected properly but the button still doesnt work

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  3. cdover73

cdover73 Member

Okay, after EXTENSIVE searching and other websites I found that I needed to check the rear actuator on back of the t-case. Sure enough the linkage was frozen. Fixed that and now it works, but I still have a problem. Lets call low range good...both actuators pull in so my front shaft and my front axles are both engaged, and the dash light comes on showing 4wd. However, in high the button actuates the rear actuator, but does not engage the front and the light does not come on. Im thinking this may be the switch with two wires on the t-case. Problem is I dont know how to check it or make it work. So back to ya'll, any suggestions? This has to be the problem because everything else works at some point. It has to be the signal now, right?

4. cdover73

cdover73 Member

Well, the switch on the t-case is good. Took it out and pressed the button on the end of it with the key on and the dash light comes on. Can't figure out why the front will not engage with the 4wd button on the shift. I thought maybe the button itself was bad, but I can hear the solenoid manifold clicking when I press the button, so it is sending a signal. I'm stumped...

5. cdover73

cdover73 Member

I missed another switch on the t-case. Found it today while looking around for something to work on...

In the pic you can see both switches. The one on the right has been verified to be working. The one on the left with only two wires coming from it is not checking good with a mulitmeter. I'm guessing since there are only two wires, the button on the switch makes contact and completes the circuit when the linkage moves into position. I took it out and checked for continuity and had no signal whether the button was pressed or not. I jumped the plug to make the connection but my front still will not engage in high when the 4wd button is pressed. I'm at a loss again.

Anyone....???

Thanks,

cdover73

Attached Files:

6. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

I wish I could help but I can't. I've had 100 + Daihatsu go through my hands over the yrs
    And the only time I had problems with the front not working was vacuum lines in poor condition.
    But it sounds like you are on the right track.

7. cdover73

cdover73 Member

Thanks. Another question, should all the vacuum lines attached to the front manifold under the seat be clear at all times, or do some of them open and close via solenoid position? I can blow through most of the lines, but there are three I cannot blow through. I thought maybe the solenoids were closed keeping me from being able to do this. I tried sucking through them as well in case there was a one way check in the line. This is the only other thing I know to check. The fact that everything works fine when I shift to low range tells me it has to be in the loop for the button activation. Aggravating....

8. cdover73

cdover73 Member

Can anybody provide a resource or part number for the switch on the t-case? It's the one to the left in the pic above with the two wires coming from it. Or can I just mount a toggle switch to complete the circuit?

9. cdover73

cdover73 Member

Anybody out there...??? (Crickets chirping...)