1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1993 honda acty

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by Jerry, May 19, 2014.

1. Jerry

Jerry New Member

This was the first ive used my truck in wet conditions.A red light on the dash came on it looks like a muffler with heat coming from it.Just before this light came on there seemed to be a lack of power intermittently kinda like a fuel shortage or possible ignition problems like intermittent fireing???Can anyone tell me what this light is for and possible what could be wrong.the truck run great yesterday before the rain.Only other thing ive done since yesterday is get a new tank of fuel.any help would be appreciated!!!

2. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Sounds like the catalytic converter is gone.That's what the warning light is and the poor performance probably means it dumped it's guts and plugged the exhaust.

3. Jerry

Jerry New Member

anyone know a fix for this i notice on a suzuki they remove the exhaust and dig the honeycomb out with a screwdriver is there such a fix for a acty?im thinking a new cat is hard to find and rather expensive.

4. Jerry

Jerry New Member

Removed and cleaned the cat out,made it a through pipe by cleaning the honeycomb out of it.The problem im presently facing is the co2 sensor that attached to the cat continues to stay on at the dash.I also checked that the rest of the exhaust isnt restricted.Ive removed the negative connection on the battery and left sit for overnight still the co2 sensor shows red on the dash.any fixes or is it shot??????If its shot is there a work around or a supplier that would have a new one available?

5. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I don't know if Honda is the same but on the older Suzukis sometimes the ground is bad and the light will come on but in that case it usually dims out as it warms up. You can check with a jumper wire from the sensor body to a good ground.It's kind of a long shot and with the trouble youve had it's probably the sensor.

6. Jakester

Jakester Member

Jerry, did cleaning out the cat solve the problem of poor performance? I've the same symptoms with a '95. I don't have any light on in the dash though.

7. Jerry

Jerry New Member

Seems mine likely was near plugged since purchase.cleaning it out gave a smoother idle more power and i believe a bit better mileage,ive only done about 120 miles since i cleaned the cat out.pretty simple job really,remove the heat shield from the cat spray the 6 -14mm nuts on the cat with penetrating fluid let sit awhile.also spray your co-2 sensor as its a bit hard to remove to get outta the way when you bust up the honeycomb in the cat. the top heat shield is hard to remove you need to remove the protection motor pan that runs from side to side in front of the motor just remove the 4 10mm bolts dont need it totally removed.(room needed so the 14mm cat bolts are more accessible) hope this helps!!

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  8. That red light has been on in my '92 since I bought it a few years ago. I have ignored it.

9. NJTukTuk

NJTukTuk New Member

Figured I’d add to this old thread

My 92 Acty was running weird - losing power in the gears. Eventually after 10-15minutes power would recover.

I poured a can of seafom sf-16 into the gas tank. Drove it and now truck power was not recovering. Engine temp gauge stopped working. Catalytic sensor tripped.

eventually replace solenoids air and fuel in the carburetor
    Cleaned out the cat honeycomb per this thread

sensor light still on
    Bought new sensor
    Replaced old one myself
    Sensor light it off
    Truck is running

photo of old sensor charred
    Photo of new sensor installed
    Needed some wd40 to loosen the bolt

Attached Files:

shogun and Limestone like this.
  10. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

NJ,
    That's a great info update! Nice of you to add the pics!
    Limestone