1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vibrations from rear

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by cdover73, May 20, 2014.

1. cdover73

cdover73 Member

Anybody wanna take a shot at which of these two pics is causing my vibrations? When I pull onto blacktop and idle along at walking speed I can feel the tires "walking" on the tread lugs. When I give it gas I almost immediately feel and hear roaring vibrations from the rear. It's not as bad on grass. I also know a dented drive shaft, even a small dent, can give vibrations.

Can anyone tell me if you get vibrations from off road atv tires? I'm talking about the kind of vibration that makes you think a u-joint is bad.

Attached Files:

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

You can definitely feel the tires "walking" on the tread at low (crawling) speeds but you should get a nice smooth hum with no vibrations at anything over 10mph or so. That driveshaft is toast. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the source of your vibrations. If you think its the tires you could try rotating the rears to the front so see if you can isolate the problem. You could also try to remove the rear driveshaft and cap the transmission and see what you get with just the front pulling in 4WD.

3. cdover73

cdover73 Member

You're reading my mind... Im gonna try that this weekend. In the meantime im trying to locate a shaft from my local dealer. Worst case I will retube it myself with some heavy wall pipe.

Another thing is when I had the rear jacked up checking the shaft I noticed some slop and internal noise in the rear of the t-case when I rocked the drive shaft back and forth. I think ive read the t-case is chain driven so would this be normal. There is also seepage on my tail shaft, which couldvery well be caused by a bent or wobbling drive shaft.

4. cdover73

cdover73 Member

Funny thing... I just took it out for a spin and the noise and vibration is not as bad. I know I have to do something with the drive shaft, but I think the truck just needs running to limber it up again. No telling how long it sat with the blown engine.

5. cdover73

cdover73 Member

I took the shaft in to a shop. He meausured the length from yoke to yoke along both sides and sure enough it was 1/16" out. $75 to retube it. I cant seem to find the post on reference numbers that had Napa numbers for the u joints. I tried the PUJ 410 at Autozone and it didnt cross. Can anyone verify them for me?

6. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

That's not a bad deal. Hope that fixes your issue. No idea on the part.