1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help! help ! I'm freaking out !

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by mitsu98, May 30, 2014.

1. mitsu98

mitsu98 New Member

I have a 1998 Mitsubishi bravo van it has a 3g83 657cc hemi 12 valve engine. I had heard a noisy in the upper engine area. So I pulling the valve cover and the adjusting but on no.1 intake valve is missing!! I found the adjusting stud. But no nut. I searched the oil drain back holes ,wasn't in any of the 3 I had seen . I searched the camshaft area, nothing . I had talked to a friend and he said the nuts probably in the oil pan. My question is how did it get there? I only seen a square hole in the cylinder head between no.2 and no.3 cylinders could it have escaped thru this square hole to the oil pan? I can get a replacement but.I'm headed to trucks gone wild in poplar bluff,mo in 5 days .so I'm on the scramble for some help .thanks rich.

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Yup...99.9% positive it's in the oil pan or stuck in the drain hole...get one of those $2 telescoping pick up magnets..(like an old collapsible radio antenna with a magnet on the end) and either pull it out through the cylinder head drain hole or the drain plug hole in the oil pan...replace the nut and good to go as long as it didn't chew anything up while it bounced around loose (unlikely) .. I've seen the same thing happen on a few motorcycles and cars before,and I haven't seen any damage from it. fingers crossed for you

3. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Crazy man back on the thread; crazy man walk'in here, crazy man walk'in...:pop:

Ha, ha, I was going to say, find that sucker. The oil pan, an oil gallery, but you do have to find it, cu'z it is in there somewhere, and it will tear shite up until it is removed from the box that we call the engine.

Remove it, and replace it with a new nut into the proper place for lock-down of the valve adjustment.
    Old found, and replaced, valve adjustment, and locked down, then...

You can go out and work the truck at the meet, if not, then no, you can not go out and tear it up...

Simple, Yea :confused:

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  4. mitsu98

mitsu98 New Member

thanks for the advise