1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S83P 4wd button

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by cdover73, Jun 24, 2014.

1. cdover73

cdover73 Member

I'm starting this in a new thread to see if I can get some specific input. I am having trouble with the 4wd button on the hi/lo shifter of my Hijet. Everything works fine when I shift to low range(front and rear actuators engage, dash light comes on, 4wd works). But in high range when I push the button everything works EXCEPT the front axle actuator and the 4wd indicator light on the dash (again, all of this works in low range). I have traced, replaced, blew through and spray lubed all the vac lines from the manifold to the actuator, and the others that go elsewhere. I even made sure there were no check valves installed backwards in the vac hoses. I have a signal from the button switch because the actuator on the back of the tranny engages when I push it and I can hear the vacuum manifold release vacuum. So it is talking to something. But I don't know what tells the front actuator to engage when the button is pushed. It may be possible that one of the wires on the switch that sends that signal is not working. But I don't know which component it is "talking" to for that to happen.

Can anyone provide some insight. Step by step troubleshooting guide? Better schematics of the electrical system than the generic prints I find on here? I am puzzled how everything works together. If I knew which solenoid or switch sends the signal to the front then maybe I can start somewhere. Right now I'm shooting in the dark.

Thanks,

cdover73

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  2. AaronRS4

AaronRS4 Member

Mine actually does the same thing... I haven't had time to look into it, so I'm of no help in diagnosing the issue... I do know that if I put in 4lo, then back I to 2hi, then press the 4wd button, 4hi will work as it should... I'm thinking its a vacuum issue with mine, but like I said, I haven't had time to look into why it is doing this...

3. cdover73

cdover73 Member

I love the simpler things in life!! I bet ya'll wouldnt believe this but the small plug in the 4wd shifter handle can plug in both ways! I checked continuity and everything worked when the button was pressed. There is only 3 wires so two pins are blank. I aligned it the right way, cranked the truck and wouldnt you know...the dang thing works now! Go figure...