1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Exclamation(!) light came on in my 91 Hijet & Strut question

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by RollTider123, Jun 24, 2014.

1. RollTider123

RollTider123 Member

I have a 91 hijet that recently had to have a belt replaced. Right about when we replaced the belt we had the (!) light turn on on my dashboard. The truck is running good now but the light still turns on and off periodically while riding. Anyone know what this is?

Also

Has anyone ordered any struts from Roackauto.com lately? I need to replace mine on my s83p and they seem to have the most affordable products (80$ each vs 225$). Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. kegoangoango

kegoangoango Member

Could it be the alternator is not fully functioning and therefore not charging all the time? Just an idea.

3. Typically that light is to show your emergency brake is on.

4. RollTider123

RollTider123 Member

My emergency brake has never worked but will check and see if its partially engaged. Thanks guys.

5. RollTider123

RollTider123 Member

I have never had an issue with my battery running down or not holding a charge. This would mean the alternator is working, right? The truck seems to be running just fine.

6. rst277

rst277 Member

Nothing to do with the alternator, that signals that there is something up with your brake system. Could be that the emergency brake is on or the switch is. I used to get that light coming on when I had temperature changes. I would unscrew the brake fluid filler cap and the light would go out and then screw the cap back down. It worked, don't ask how / why!?! also could be that your brake fluid is low. Ralph in Winnipeg

7. RollTider123

RollTider123 Member

Thanks Ralph

8. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

Does the symbol look like a muffler ( or bar-b-q ) with heat ( wiggle ) lines on it? If so, it is the heat sensor for the catalytic converter. Check the connection at the cat, it is probably corroded and not grounding well.

I bought my struts from Rock auto and was well satisfied - price and delivery were as stated. But, I also had to put 250# Afco springs to stop the bottoming - not saying that I am heavy, just that the truck now handles much better.

Bob Jonah

9. mdh71

mdh71 New Member

I had the exclamation point come on in my truck not long after I bought it. Checked the brake fluid level and even added a little to it. No good. Checked the forum and someone suggested taking the disc inside of the reservoir out and turning it over. (it has a magnet in it that operates the switch that turns the light on indicating low fluid level) No good. Someone also suggested checking the switch that the parking brake makes when it is engaged. No Good. Finally looked at the under side of the cap of the reservoir. It has a rubber boot in it and the rubber boot was hanging down, which was pushing the disc inside the reservoir down, which was making the switch. Pushed the rubber boot back up into the cap and light went off.
    The light just showed up in mine again the other day. Added fluid still had light. Remembered that I saw the boot hanging down from the cap after a couple of days and had the flashback to my first encounter with the red exclamation point.
    So check the fluid level, and then check the rubber boot in the cap. If it's hanging down, push it back up into the cap, screw the cap back on and then see if the light goes off.

10. RollTider123

RollTider123 Member

Thank you all for advice. I have not had time to work on truck but I went ahead and ordered some new 250 springs. When they come in I plan on installing them and working on light issue. Thanks again.

Morgan