1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running at last!

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by cdover73, Jul 7, 2014.

1. cdover73

cdover73 Member

Some of you have read my posts recently and saw that for the last couple months I have been having one problem after another getting the truck to run right. Well I was finally able to drive it to my camp on the river about 10 miles from my house. It ran perfectly, even got it up to 61mph on gps (wouldn't recommend that to anyone running atv tires. (Wait...I have atv tires....:sly:). I also found out it doesn't like sand! AT ALL!!

After all the growing pains I can say it is finally worth it. When these trucks run like they're supposed to you can enjoy them much more. i was so tired of having to work on it each time I drove it. I enjoyed the 4th at the river and had a blast with the Hijet. Everybody knew I had it, some had seen it when I brought it home (very rough) but not since, and none of them expected it to look and drive as good as it does. Got a few offers, but I turned them down for now.

My next project is to take care of the Toyota syndrome and get either an aftermarket locker or find a complete axle with factory diff lock and swap it out. Which of these would be easier or better to do?

Thanks to all who let me rant, rave, cuss, smile, and rejoice during my build. It was well worth it!

Thanks,

Attached Files:

2. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

I love my diff loc!!! But..........that said...........if I didn't have one........I would go for the limited slip. The reason for this is simple. If you bind up and NEED a wheel to break loose and spin to get that extra little bit of power........ you can!!! Also........limited slip is just easier on the running gears. I'd love to add one to my front end but not going too till I can get all the issues hammered out. Sand is NOT a friend of any minitrucktalk I've met yet hahaha. So.............my way to defend against it was to run 10.5 inch wide tires on 7 inch wide rims!!!! We do much better now but never get out of 3rd gear. Not even on the lower beach by the water where there's a bit of gravel

3. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

cdover, where is that picture taken? I want to go there.

4. cdover73

cdover73 Member

My camp on the Amite river in south Louisiana. God's country for us rednecks! That is the edge of a 1/4 mile sand bar that tapers off to the water along the edge of ~200 acres of park like timber. I have other pics I will try to post to my profile. You're welcome to come show me how its done anytime!

5. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

South La., then Ive been there so to speak. Most likely flew over it a couple hundred times going to and from work when I worked offshore. I like the looks of the vegetation behind the truck in the picture.