1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stiff shifting

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by slanted, Jul 8, 2014.

1. slanted

slanted New Member

My S110P (96) went from shifting fine to being difficult to shift. Seemed to happen suddenly.

It is only left to right movement of the stick. Up and back (1st to 2nd) is fine, but movement to the middle for 3rd for right for 5th is very stiff. Going back the other way is also stiff. Moving left and right with or without the clutch does not seem to make a difference.

I've tied to clean and lube both ends of the system, at the shifter and at the transmission, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I don't see how to lube the cables.

Any ideas what I'm dealing with? I'm tempted to disconnect the cable and try to manually move the lever at the transmission to see if that is stiff, but I don't know if I'll be able to tell what is normal or abnormal.

-George

2. slanted

slanted New Member

Well I had some time tonight to look at it. After letting penetrating oil work on it for a week it seems a somewhat better. I disconnected the cable at the transmission and the stiffness appears to be in the cable or shifter. The lever at the transmission moves freely. :)

So I worked on it some more and will call it good enough for now. Not super free, but a definite improvement.

3. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

If it moves side to side easy at the trans. by hands yea, my guess its the cable. I would not think the shifter is the problem.
    By the way S110 are my favorite trucks.

4. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

I have the same problem with mine - if it sits idle for a couple of weeks, it gets very stiff. It is the lever on top of the transmission seizing in the bushing . I had to take off the top shift case and manually loosen the shaft from the bushing the first time it happened after a two month rest. I am beginning to suspect that it does not like synthetic transmission oil, as it only started doing that after I switched. I also seem to have more gear whine with the synthetic, so I am going to change back to regular oil in my gearboxes.

5. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

Just to update this - I changed back to 85/140 gear oil in all my boxes and within 15 mins. driving the shifting was back to normal and the gear whine was reduced to an acceptable level - no more synthetic oils for me.

Bob Jonah