1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Axle swap options

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by cdover73, Jul 8, 2014.

1. cdover73

cdover73 Member

I know this is a topic all over the board, but I have a specific question that I can't find an answer to. I found a complete diff lock rear axle for $375 used. It comes with everything, hub to hub including actuator, but not the wiring and dash mounted switch (I can run a toggle if need be). It is out of a S81. My question is will it bolt directly up to my S83P? If so I will get it this weekend. But if not, or requires extensive modding, then I will look for other options. Are they the same length, gear ratio, mounting bracket locations, drive shaft length, etc? I really need to be able to lock my rear to eliminate the open diff "Toyota Syndrome" that leaves you stuck when you need it most.

I haven't considered locking the front, but haven't excluded the option either. From my experience, 4x4's with rear lockers will go just about anywhere in two wheel drive that some can't in 4wd.

If anyone can answer this for me, or tell me where to find a spec sheet comparison for both models I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

cdover73

2. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I would get a hold of Leon at Daihatsu help.I think Wed. is the day he is available.I'm betting they are the same.In case you don't have it his email is leon@daihatsu-help.com.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  3. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

I 2nd Mr. Nelson reply, I dont see why it would not work.

4. cdover73

cdover73 Member

I sent him an email. Thanks!

5. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Looks like I'm a little late on this topic, but here is my write up on my axle swap:

http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?12246-S210P-Diff-Lock-mod-done!!!

I'm going to say that the S81 axle would work fine in your S83 but Leon would be a great reference. These little trucks actually haven't changed much over the years other than carb to EFI and some face lifts every couple years.

That's a great price on the rear end and the extras. My truck was completely wired for diff lock, one connector behind the dash for the switch and two connectors above the fuel tank for the vacuum switch valve.

Best of luck and keep us posted.