1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1996 Midget II questions from a new owner

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by sleemanj, Jul 11, 2014.

1. sleemanj

sleemanj New Member

Hi all, just got myself a Midget II here in New Zealand.

midget.jpg

Yes the horns work, and they are literally painfully loud. Probably explains why they are on a separate switch with hazard warnings. It's in pretty good nick, except the paint job is rough as guts, and it was at 118k with no sign of having had a timing belt done - it has been now.

Anyway, a couple of questions which fellow Midgeteers might be able to answer forme...
    1. this midget's cooling fan runs permanently, as in, on accessory power, even doesn't need to even be started. Is this the usual configuration, or is there a thermal switch somewhere which has got itself stuck, if so, where would I find that. The air appears to blow cold only, I'm assuming here that it should be able to blow hot, so I'm wondering if this is down to the coolant not reaching temperature.

2. it has a slight tappety sound, perhaps a little more than I'd like ideally,looks like it wouldn't be TOO bad to access through the left side hatch, but do they run adjustable clearances anyway, or hydraulic, and if adjustable is it shim, screw, anybody have the appropriate data?

3. has anybody got the service manual available from Yahoo JP -- http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h187877678 -- is it worth buying, given I can't read japanese?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  2. sleemanj

sleemanj New Member

3. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

sounds like a stuck thermostat...even with the cooling fan running you should get warm air..the thermoswitch is on your radiator...flush your rad...some of the Japanese exports have the coolant drained before leaving Japan...usually refilled with tap water once it reaches its new country