1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thermostat question, truck getting hot

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by joe tx, Jul 23, 2014.

1. joe tx

joe tx New Member

Hello, my pu has been doing good. Parked it after hunting season an rarely used it for a few months. Last month, when I drove it to gas up, noticed that my temp gauge was showing hot. Parked it and it cooled off. Drove it back to the shop and it was hot again. It's been sitting since.

Decided to check it out and when I point the laser thermometer to the radiator with the gauge showing hot (red zone) the temp in the radiator is unchanged and the cap inside the cab is cold. Pointed the laser to the two hoses off the engine and one is cold and the other is 200 degrees plus. Water level was O.K. when it started getting hot last month so I don't think that it would be air locked. I think that my thermostat is bad and stuck. Probably the easiest and cheapest thing to start with.

So....called Rockauto and they don't have one. Where can I find one. Found one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151268627471?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

HONDA ACTY HA3, HA4, HH3, HH4 THERMOSTAT AND GASKET....$24. and $9. shipping......This guy sell a lot of mini truck stuff. Anyone deal with him, or anyone know if this is what I need for my '91 Honda Acty?

Maybe you can direct me elsewhere...Is this price O.K. Don't guess that I could cross it over to O'riley's or autozone???? Appreaciate any help or info. Thanks, Joe.

2. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Hey Joe,

It certainly sounds like the coolant in the engine block is being blocked from passing into the radiator. Air lock, obstruction or thermostat stuck closed? The truck may have a bleed screw on the thermostat housing but I agree with you, if you haven't opened up the cooling system, it may not be an air lock. A new thermostat might be the place to start. While you're in there, you may consider a coolant flush / refill also.

The eBay store is King Cobra Mini Truck Parts (http://www.kingcobraparts.com). I've bought from Chad once, an air filter, and everything was great. Fast shipping, good communication and a quality part. I think others on the forum have bought from him also. He's in the very far western part of KY (the Texas side!) so shipping to you shouldn't be bad.

I've got a thermostat that I'm going to put in my Hijet whenever I get around to my timing belt / water pump job. It's mighty small but who knows, you may be able to cross it at a parts house. Find you a good counter guy. Around here, if the 17 year old can't enter your make / model in their computer, they're absolutely lost and will tell you it can't be done.

Good luck and keep us posted.

3. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

It could be air lock. The ACTY has bleed screws on the metal lines that run from the rear to the front. They are at the high point of the lines under the cab. If they haven't been used for a long time spray some penetrating oil and let it soak before trying to open them or you'll snap them off.

If you do replace the thermostat you'll still need to bleed air from the lines afterwards.

4. joe tx

joe tx New Member

Well, I replaced the thermostat and had no problem with the bleed screws on the lines. Sprayed them with PB blaster and the opened easy. I don't understand how the flow goes in this Honda. I saw someone's explanation on how to load the coolant system and bleed the system, but I haven't been able to find that particular thread. I have found several odds and ends on what to do.

I flushed the radiator and left the hose off the smaller metal line going into the thermostat housing off. Had good flow out the radiator pedcock and this metal line. I put the pedcock back in and I replaced this hose with a new piece as it was very soft close to the thermostat housing.....I started the engine, opened the water hose into the radiator, opened both of the bleeders on top of the engine. Had solid water coming out of the bleeder on the driver's side, close to the big hose leaving the engine. I think this is the water out to the radiator, this is the one opposite from the thermostat side and I'm confused here because I don't understand the flow.

Took off the bleeder on the thermostat side of the engine completely off and nothing came out.

Used a laser thermometer and found 212 degrees on the big hose (opposite of the thermostat) , 178 degrees on the bleeder that water came out, 136 on the bleeder with no flow, 108 degrees on the two line coming into the thermostat, and 100 degrees on the radiator panel up front.

I didn't open the bleeders on top of the lines as I was force feeding the radiator with the water hose pressure. I'm used to a chevy engine with the thermostat on top and that flowing into the top of the radiator and the water pump taking suction of the bottom of the radiator and pumping it through the engine and out the top.....I think the Honda is opposite of this.

Sure hope my water pump didn't go out on me. Also, are the two bleeders on top of the engine in line and connected to each other? Why two lines coming to the thermostat? Sure hope someone can shed some light on this as I'm completely confused. Thanks, Joe.

5. joe tx

joe tx New Member

Back to the top, still haven't fixed it. Thinking I need a water pump. Any ideas? Thanks, Joe

6. shogun

shogun Active Member

7. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Elevate the front of truck about 8". Remove radiator cap. Then start truck and let it come up to temp.
    With the front of truck up in the air the air will find the highest point and escape. While doing this watch your temp. and when thermostat opens you should be able to see dash temp. drop off a little bit. Run it for a while and if it doesnt clean up I would look at thermostat.

8. joe tx

joe tx New Member

Thanks, will try the front end raised. Have a new thermostat installed. I've also bought a new timing kit and water pump which I'm getting ready to install. Hopefully get it running again. Thanks, Joe