1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hijet Steering noise

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by feblock, Jul 30, 2014.

1. feblock

feblock New Member

hey guys i have a 96 daihatsu hijet the steering doesnt seem to be lose but when steering it left to right or right to left it makes a popping noise while not moving i noticed about a 16th inch of play on the steering shaft on the knuckle dont know if it is a major concern but i figured why not ask

2. I don't think mine has the popping sounds left to right but when i get mine off road, especially going over roads with larger rock, the steering column/rack area rattles and bangs quite loudly..
    After having the truck now for 2 years and having no issues with the front end, I just accept the noise as normal.

Have you checked your ball joints? maybe they are worn or dry causing a clunk...

3. the pou

the pou Member

Im not sure but if the stering system is the same as a suzuki carry, i'd say 75% chance it is the stering stem bushing.
    The inside is rubber.it is a pretty easy job to fix. If it is the case, be careful, the loose in the bushing can cause
    The front wheeles to wable at hy speed.( very scary). If you check in the suzuki carry section,reference, there is
    A thread name...Replacing the stering stem bushing wit roller berings. There is picture of the bushing.
    Good luck

4. feblock

feblock New Member

i did some more looking into it while putting in a water pump, seems to be coming from the rack and pinion even whens it jacked up with no load on it

5. feblock

feblock New Member

i stand corrected the issue is actually coming from the bell crank doesnt have any play in it just creaks when its cool outside the subsides as it warms uo