1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know how the coolant system flows?

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by joe tx, Aug 7, 2014.

1. joe tx

joe tx New Member

Does anyone know how the coolant system flows? The diagram I found isn't clear... I'm having problems with my pu overheating and am trying to fix it, but don't understand how the coolant should flows. Thought I would post it in a new thread and maybe get a better response....This system isn't like anything I'm used to. Thanks, Joe.

October%2007%20977.jpg

Posted these questions on another thread. If you would like to see whole thread, here's the link...

http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?15902-thermostat-question-truck-getting-hot

"Well, I replaced the thermostat and had no problem with the bleed screws on the lines. Sprayed them with PB blaster and the opened easy. I don't understand how the flow goes in this Honda. I saw someone's explanation on how to load the coolant system and bleed the system, but I haven't been able to find that particular thread. I have found several odds and ends on what to do.

I flushed the radiator and left the hose off the smaller metal line going into the thermostat housing off. Had good flow out the radiator pedcock and this metal line. I put the pedcock back in and I replaced this hose with a new piece as it was very soft close to the thermostat housing.....I started the engine, opened the water hose into the radiator, opened both of the bleeders on top of the engine. Had solid water coming out of the bleeder on the driver's side, close to the big hose leaving the engine. I think this is the water out to the radiator, this is the one opposite from the thermostat side and I'm confused here because I don't understand the flow.

Took off the bleeder on the thermostat side of the engine completely off and nothing came out.

Used a laser thermometer and found 212 degrees on the big hose (opposite of the thermostat) , 178 degrees on the bleeder that water came out, 136 on the bleeder with no flow, 108 degrees on the two line coming into the thermostat, and 100 degrees on the radiator panel up front.

I didn't open the bleeders on top of the lines as I was force feeding the radiator with the water hose pressure. I'm used to a chevy engine with the thermostat on top and that flowing into the top of the radiator and the water pump taking suction of the bottom of the radiator and pumping it through the engine and out the top.....I think the Honda is opposite of this.

Sure hope my water pump didn't go out on me. Also, are the two bleeders on top of the engine in line and connected to each other? Why two lines coming to the thermostat? Sure hope someone can shed some light on this as I'm completely confused. Thanks, Joe."

2. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

Here's the procedure the service manual says.
    Fill the radiator
    Start the engine and add coolant as needed.
    Shut off engine and shake vehicle to release air bubbles(I'm not kidding it really says that)
    Start engine again, add coolant and repeat as needed.
    If system was completely drained bleed lines above spare tire
    Then bleed at the bolts on engine.
    If automatic transmission bleed the bolt on the cooler

One hose at the thermostat is the inlet from the radiator and the other in the return flow from the heater core.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014