1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1990 KV4 Sambar problems (possibly ecvt)

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by LobeyWan, Aug 8, 2014.

1. LobeyWan

LobeyWan New Member

hi,
    after searching for weeks and trying many different things i am finally posting as a last resort!
    i live in australia and have two kv4 1990 subaru sambar vans
    4wd supercharged sun sun roof
    one of the van has a rattly engine and the other had what i expected was a buggered ecvt
    i pulled the drive line (engine,transaxle) from each and swapped the good engine with what i thought was a good trans to make one good drivable van
    now although the van seems to drive better (as i think the brakes were fouling before we made some adjustment) when i come to a hill or have the drivetrain under load it seems to die (does NOT stall) but loses all power and the more i step on the accelerator pedal the more it dies (if i lightly touch the pedal it will creep up the hill at about 30km per hour)
    i have taken out the brushes and cleaned then and the points the touch on the electromagnetic clutch is clean and oil free
    to me it seems like a slipping clutch but it seems odd that both seem to do this
    the trans fluid is full with cvt fluid and i am not getting any lights on my dash.
    can someone please help me as i don't want to give up on this van but having some of the only ones in the country makes it difficult
    thanks again
    Tom

2. LobeyWan

LobeyWan New Member

almost a year and no ideas?