1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rough idle at cold start

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Minibull, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Minibull

Minibull New Member

I'm new to the forum and new to the mini truck world but I have jumped in with both feet. A few days ago I picked up a 1995 (on seat belt) daihatsu hijet. I am noticing that upon starting...I have to keep feathering the gas pedal (or at least keep it at half) or the truck will shut off.

However, after I keep the pedal down for 20 seconds or so (to keep the truck running), it will idle down and absolutely purr like a kitten for days. Almost seems like a cold idle problem....or a choke problem...or I dunno. I have not messed with the idle adjustment screws yet bc I don't want to mess anything up. I noticed the choke is a little stiff if I roll it with a screwdriver head or something. I sprayed wd40 on the spring today but didn't notice much difference.

On a different note, I noticed a little bit of water dripping into my left side floorboard this evening. First time this has happened and FYI, the ac was on.

Also there is a cluster of metal tubes running crossways above the air intake on the right side of motor which have vacuum hoses on them....except for one.....and I have no idea where that hose went or where it's supposed to. Previous owner has already installed an electric fuel pump. PLEASE HELP

2. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Welcome to the addiction. What model is your truck?On the inside fender well it should be stamped something like oooS80000000, the S80 or S81 or what ever is the model. I think it's an S81 if 4X4 or S80 if 2 wheel drive. If so I have a real good manual in English on a cd. It has helped me a lot. Also look at past posts by fupa box as he is pretty sharp on these trucks and has posted a ton of info on them.

3. Minibull

Minibull New Member

Sorry. It's a s110p. I meant to include that it my post. 4x4

4. Minibull

Minibull New Member

5. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

The search function on this site takes a little getting used to so if you haven't figured it out yet at the top of the Daihatsu section there is a "reference section" and in there is a thread titled Daihatsu Maintenance that has a PDF showing adjustments.Also some where Fupa Box did a you tube video on cleaning and adjusting the carb that should help.That missing vacuum line is probably your problem as all these trucks seem to have miles of vac line and they all cause endless headaches.
    The photos you tried to attach come up as invalid attachments,I don't know what causes that but some of the guys get around that and I think it's by using flicker or something like that.I'm a low tech redneck so don't understand any of that.