1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a muffler or an idea

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by drewdaddy, Aug 30, 2014.

1. drewdaddy

drewdaddy New Member

Hello, new to the forum. I just bought a mini u42t and I have a huge hole in the muffler itself. I have searched the forum for ideas and only seen one person recommend a Toyota Corolla muffler. I can't find a direct replacement so has anyone replaced one with a vehicle muffler? I'm tired of my mini sounding like a log truck going down the road. I don't want to just put anything on there for fear of having the mini not run right. Thanks

2. drewdaddy

drewdaddy New Member

Nothing, no one? I'm the only one to replace the muffler. Help me out, the exhaust fumes are killing me.

3. I used a muffler for a tractor from Tractor Supply. Same size muffler pipe, welded it up and was good to go. Real cheap and works great.

4. drewdaddy

drewdaddy New Member

Thanks for the idea, would you say it's quiet? I use this truck for hunting and I would definitely like to cut as much sound as possible without affecting power. Anything has to be quieter than the gaping hole I have now.

5. It's not as loud as it was. But I don't know what one sounds like stock either!

6. drewdaddy

drewdaddy New Member

Based on another suggestion I just installed a Walker 18331 muffler in the stock position and ran 1 1/2 out the back. It sounds wonderful, or should I say no sound. Coming from basically a straight pipe that was loud to this is amazing. It is so quiet, I can actually hunt out of my mini now. Thought I would pass along the info.

7. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Hm... thanks man! Ive been wondering what im supposed to do re: my muffler, mines way blown out! I also have a U42T... what year is yours?

8. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

So did you just have the old pipe welded to the new muffler? Is it is just as simple as buying the muffler and having someone weld it on?? Thanks

9. Squeaks-leaks

Squeaks-leaks Member

You could also buy a muffler patch kit at your local auto parts store. It could quite it down in the mean time until you can figure out a replacement idea.

10. drewdaddy

drewdaddy New Member

1991. Yes that model muffler slips over the inlet from the cat (mine was cut out) and was just welded in. Then had a shop run a new 1.5" tail pipe out the rear. You can't find a shop that has 1 1/4 pipe to match factory. It turned out great. So quiet that I had to install a tachometer to know when to shift. I'm so happy with the outcome. Amazon has the muffler cheap

11. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Mines actually a 94. Wasnt there a big difference between 91 and after?

12. drewdaddy

drewdaddy New Member

After 1990 if I understand correctly. 91-98 are all similar. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

13. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

So can anyone tell me if 1 1/2" pipe is ok to use? Sounds like i can find a muffler that would work for me but im not entirely sure what to do about the pipe? The only muffler shop where i live says he cant find any 1 1/4".

14. drewdaddy

drewdaddy New Member

I'm no mechanic, but I read a lot on the subject. From what I gather it's no problem to go to 1 1/2. If anything a larger pipe increases flow (slight increase in HP) but can slightly reduce torque. I have been driving mine a while now with 1 1/2 from the muffler back and I see no problems with it. I honestly think there is so little difference from stock that you will be fine. Good luck finding 1 1/4 if you go that route.

15. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Awesome! Thanks so much man! Im pretty sure your right! Im just going to see if i can get it done with 1 1/2" and call it a day!

16. Weekendmedic

Weekendmedic New Member

Following this post, my Walker 18331 muffler has arrived for my 97 U42T, but I was struggling to find a pipe kit to fabricate the remainder from - I have a welder but no bender, so pre-bent pieces seem to be the order of the day, and my current system is trash from the headers back. I found a motorcycle kit in 1.5" at TC Bros, should be here next week, I'll update when it arrives and I get this done.

https://tcbros.com/collections/diy-...a-xs650-builder-exhaust-kit-1-5-inch-diameter