1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sambar Crankshaft Pulley Bolt

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Botl01, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Botl01

Botl01 Active Member

I just bought a new timing belt and water pump for my 1997 Sambar Truck but can't get the pulley bolt off. I bought a new 1/2" impact wrench and still can not get it off.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas or helpful hints? It is a right hand thread,correct?

2. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

I seem to remember the crank pulley bolt being tough, even with an impact wrench (electric one). It's a normal bolt, so counter-clockwise should loosen it.

I had to leave the wrench on there for a good 30 seconds or so, if I recall. Nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, bam - it's loose.

3. Botl01

Botl01 Active Member

Thanks, at least I know it's a right hand thread. Headed to the rental store this weekend for a larger impact wrench. The 1/2" would not take it off. And this is after several applications of Blaster spray.

4. Smabarwala

Smabarwala New Member

You can also use the wheel wrench to loose this bolt. Put the vhicle in 5th gear, remove the rear right wheel and engage a rod or any obstacle in wheel studs (to stop the wheel from moving). If bolt is hard, slight hitting on wheel wrench by a hammer can make the work easier.

This procedure is not as good as the maintenance ethics should be but works if you are in troubble and want a quick solution.

5. Botl01

Botl01 Active Member

Broke down and bought a 3/4" Impact wrench. Bolt came loose in about five seconds. Thanks for the info.:)

6. Bamboozle

Bamboozle New Member

Hey, heres a simple alternative to a impact:
    Remove #1 spark plug and insert a 3/16" rope cord by pushing it in to the cylinder"about 10"-12"worth. Turn the motor over manually with a socket wrench until the engine locks. Use a short snip to loosen off the bolt as needed.

This little trick I learned working on Skidoo engines when removing the clutch drive bolts. It works great.

7. eltanguero

eltanguero New Member

If you have a 1/2 in. Impact with about 1k of foot/lbs of torque you should be able to remove the crankshaft bolt. You NEED a. Special weighted socket. I used a Lisle harmonic balance 17mm socket that was around $25 and took it off within seconds.