1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing cooling fan from 1991 hijet and locating wheel spacers

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by RollTider123, Sep 15, 2014.

1. RollTider123

RollTider123 Member

Had a stick get caught in the fan the cools my engine/radiator and it may of burned up fan motor. As I have mentioned in my previous posts I have very little experience working on any sort of vehicle so these may be dumb questions. I have the fan/mount unbolted but am having trouble getting it out of truck, have tried pulling it through the driver side seat gap but it wont quite squeeze. should I try from below? Or does something need to be removed in order to remove it?

If fan motor is indeed destroyed does anyone know where I might could locate a replacement? My next project will be to bolt some sort of protection on the under side of truck to protect the radiator and fan.

Last question (for now;)) does anyone have any reccomendations to where I should buy some wheel spacers for my front wheels? My new aftco springs are wider/larger than my stock springs were and it caused my tires to rub when turning.

Thanks in advance for the help

Morgan

2. RollTider123

RollTider123 Member

I figured out how to get the fan out and tested it by hooking it up to a battery and it kicked on. I reinstalled it and it would not turn on when engine heated up. Does this mean it's something with the thermostat? Everything worked fine until a limb got into the fan while driving, the fan continued to run with stick in it but made a loud sound. I shut engine off and pulled limb out, when I cranked engine back up the fan never kicked back on. Thoughts?

Also, is there any reccomendations on where to get wheel spacers? or should I go to a local auto store.

Thanks

3. AaronRS4

AaronRS4 Member

Have you checked all of the fuses? I would assume that the fan circuit is protected by a fuse somewhere, and if the fan was trying to kick on but was locked up due to a limb, it may have taken out a fuse... as for the wheel spacers, I am unsure...

4. AaronRS4

AaronRS4 Member

Just did a quick Google search on the wheel spacers. Looks like Amazon has them in 1.5 and 2.0" ...

5. RollTider123

RollTider123 Member

Thanks Aaron. I have checked the fuses under dash and they all were good. Not sure if there is another fuse that could go to fan, I'm gonna do some searching after work today. I will also try to jump the relay cable that the fan plugs into to make sure that wire is good. Let me know if anyone has any other suggestions.

Thanks

6. RollTider123

RollTider123 Member

After doing some more tests on fan I dertermined that the fan motor was bad. Bought a replacement and hooked it up, its working now.... Now I need to order some wheel spacers and work on bolt on something on underbody to protect motor/radiator/ etc...

7. mdh71

mdh71 New Member

Where did you get the fan motor from and what make and model is it? Just in case I need one someday.

8. RollTider123

RollTider123 Member

I could not find a replacement motor so I went to a local shop and bought a replacement fan for $60. I just cut the plug off of old fan and connected wires to my new one. One thing I will say is the new fan does not mount up flush to the radiator like the old one, gotta make some adjustments to make it flush.

9. foxjok

foxjok New Member

How has your aftermarket fan been working? My fan motor has gone bad, and I'm looking into replacing it with an aftermarket fan.

10. mad659

mad659 Member

My fan switch went bad a couple of months ago. I unplugged the thermoswitch and bypassed it. Fan is always on, which worked out quite well for my tropical climate.
    I got spacer/adapters off of ebay and went from 10'' stock rims to Toyota baby supra 13'' rims which also space out the tires out to about 1.25". Worked out very well and made my truck a lot more stable.

11. Reets

Reets New Member

My fan burnt out and after much searching internet etc I finally got a Punto fan from the scrappies which was exactly the same and only needed minor modification in order to fit.