1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hijet truck bed removal

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by sendkenstuff, Sep 15, 2014.

1. sendkenstuff

sendkenstuff New Member

Hello to all you mini truck enthusiasts .I've been working on new hijet ,well i mean new to me anyways .Its a 91 or 92 s83p as far as i can tell .got about two weeks ago. it seems like it's been sitting for a couple of years A little surface rust and no door. finally got it started by bypassing the gas tank and siphoning the gas from my gas can. after I got the tires fixed I took it on a test drive. it seems a little boggy on the low-end I have to ease the Excelerator until I get the RPMs up. it had very little power as I could barely get it to a high enough RPM to switch gears in hi i'm thinking about taking the bed off so I can get to the engine a little better and change the plugs and wires and tweak it a little bit. does anyone know any tricks on how to separate the sheet metal on the front side of the bed from the cab. any insight would be helpful

thanks in advance

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  2. sendkenstuff

sendkenstuff New Member

Well got the bed off was a piece of cake using a propane tourch to soften the seal from the bed to the cab .I was expecting it to be harder to seperate.Checked compression 140,150,170 not to bad i think.Going to have to find spark plug and points gap because iv got no hp but it does idle ok and revs good just no power.The gas tank is cleaned out I cut a hole in it to take out the pickup tube and rewelded it back in.It was kinda nerve wracking cutting and welding on a gas tank but luckly i had a bottle of argon handy to displace the oxygen.

3. sendkenstuff

sendkenstuff New Member

Well couldn't find any points in the distributor but there was 2 black plastic pieces that said( do not remove ),Guess its electronic in a s83p.With the new plugs the gas tank fixed,and a little tweek on the timing its running good.There is some slip in the clutch when i punch it doubt there is any adjustment left as the peddle engages when its in a higher position but i will have to check it out.

4. rst277

rst277 Member

Clutch adjustment is pretty easy - if you have anything left to adjust. Just loosen the lock nut and see how much you have. R