1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coil pack arcing onto block, replaced same result

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by mitsu911, Sep 30, 2014.

1. mitsu911

mitsu911 Member

Got a mitusbishi u62t. Was running rough, took seat off and heard a ticking noise that wasn't normal. When revving motor a spark shoots out from coil pack to block. Replace coil pack with a new one, it is doing same thing. Do I need to replace spark plugs next?

2. Squeaks-leaks

Squeaks-leaks Member

I had an old Goldwing awhile back that would short out to the block. It turned out to be bad spark plug caps. I would go ahead and replace the wires and plugs if I was you. Even if it doesn't solve the problem the truck probably needs it anyways.

3. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

My first guess is that if its arching at the coil pack, coil pack is bad.

4. mitsu911

mitsu911 Member

Well, just a bit of an update. Was a bit of a struggle, but I replaced the original coil pack with a replacement. It also arced onto the block with a visible spark shooting from the coil pack to the block. I then took the new replacement coil pack and moved it to the next cylinder, it arced in that cylinder, confirming that the spark plug was not the problem.

But just for fun I went ahead and replaced the spark plugs (you need to read on how to do that cuz it takes a special wrench). I then put all the coil packs back in and the same new replacement coil pack arced. So I contacted the seller and told him that the replacement coil pack was bad. He sent me a new one, and it works great.

All is well now. I just wanted to update this in case someone else runs into this problem, hope this helps.

5. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Glad you solved your problem. Had the same problem once on a Lincoln Town Car. Coil pack was arching back to the front of the head. After a long process, ended up finding a loose ground wire strap from the rear of that same head. It went from the rear of the head to a grounding block on the firewall. Tightened it up and the arch went away. Must have swapped 3-4 coil packs, thank goodness for lifetime warranties!