1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idles but won't rev without dying

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by fit_rick, Oct 2, 2014.

1. fit_rick

fit_rick New Member

It will idle good but if you tap the gas pedal at all, it wants to die out. If you spray starting fluid into the carb, it will rev up no problem. I have already cleaned the carb. Does this sound like a fuel pump issue or what? Is there a way that I can check and see if it is the fuel pump before ordering another one? Has anyone else experienced this before? Want to get this thing going

2. fit_rick

fit_rick New Member

Still need some help! Will idle no problem but wants to die out when given gas. Will rev up when starting fluid is sprayed in it. Not sure where to go from here. Please help me get this thing going again. Advice on what to check/do to it next?

3. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Sounds like a fuel supply problem,usually fuel filter, maybe float level too low, something has you running out of gas .

4. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Dito on fuel supply. If its carb. mech. fuel pump will be mounted next to # 1 /# 2 cyl. You can pull it off and push
    the arm that rides on shaft and see if its pumping.

5. fit_rick

fit_rick New Member

worked on it

I worked on it a little bit yesterday and found out some new info...... I pulled the hose after the fuel filter and hooked it straight up to a small dirtbike gas tank. It went from the dirtbike gas tank to the fuel pump to the carb. It ran better and was actually able to sustain a few hundred RPMs without dying out. I believe it was just being gravity fed though with the small temporary tank sitting right above the fuel pump. If I let it sit for a few seconds, its like it would build up a small fuel supply and would rev up for longer but then would slowly start starving for fuel and rpms would come back down.

After I saw all of that, I put a new clear inline fuel filter in between the daihatsu gas tank and the fuel pump. I started the motor and it ran for a few seconds off of residual gas still left in the carb and gas line. No fuel entered the clear fuel filter I put on between the tank and fuel pump. I would think that this is an indication of the fuel pump not pumping fuel from the tank. Here is a picture of the fuel pump.... Does it sound like the fuel pump needs to be replaced? Advice on where to get this replacement fuel pump?

Attached Files:

6. fit_rick

fit_rick New Member

Thanks for the response. I will pull it off today and try that.

7. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

It could also be the pick up line is blocked in the tank. Try blowing back through the line toward the tank. A lot of these trucks show up with really dirty fuel tanks and cooling systems.You can take the tank off and remove the sending unit to give you access and wash it out real good then dry it out with a blower. I use my heat gun on the blower side with out heat then dump some WD 40 in and slosh it around just to be sure.

8. fit_rick

fit_rick New Member

I will do that as I'm sure it wont hurt anything but to eliminate that possibility yesterday, I hooked up a small 1.5gallon dirtbike gas tank right after the fuel filter. So I know it's not the tank itself causing the trouble. With the dirtbike gas tank about the mechanical fuel pump, it worked better than with it hooked up to the truck gas tank because it was being gravity fed instead of having to pull fuel from the rear of the truck. Really think I've narrowed down the main problem to the fuel pump but I do think the tank could be cleaned out once I get everything in working order.

9. Torque Monster

Torque Monster New Member

Place an electric self priming pump in place of the mechanical and wire it into the run circuit with a relay and fuse.
    I have a two cylinder that was supposedly doing the same thing. the previous owner was going to replace the carb thinking it was the cause and he gave up on it when he tried to find parts. When I got it i pulled the fuel pump off and the diaphragm was rotted and not pumping. Unfortunately when i got it it was missing the points. When I get points for it I will know for sure.
    Good luck, Nate