1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini truck idles rough, smokes and has oil on one of the spark plugs HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Kxforlife, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Kxforlife

Kxforlife New Member

I purchased a mitsubishi mini cab today and noticed this afternoon while driving it that it started to loose power and started to sputter, so I brought it back to the house and let it sit for a little while. Once I started it again it acted like it didn't want to hardly run and was smoking really bad. While it was running I put my hand over the exhaust pipe and oil started spitting out on my hand. I then shut it off and pulled the spark plugs, the middle one had oil all over the end of it and was all in the slot where the spark plug goes. Could someone please help me figure out what is wrong I don't know a lot about them but I am pretty mechanically inclined and can figure just about anything out but don't want to dig into it trying to find the problem if someone already knows what it might be.

2. Squeaks-leaks

Squeaks-leaks Member

I would start with a compression test and get back to us with the results.

3. Kxforlife

Kxforlife New Member

Did a compression test today and the first cylinder was 160psi and the other two were like 270psi. What could I do next?

4. Squeaks-leaks

Squeaks-leaks Member

It's weird that your cylinder with the lowest compression is not the one burning the oil. I have seen motors smoke from bad valve seals before but not as bad as you described.

Oil isn't over filled by chance?

5. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Most Mits ive come across with over 70000kms + smoke. I believe the older version had bad valve seals.
    Better check the cylinders again. A new engine should be around 205 + - psi with a min. 140psi with no more than 10 to 15 psi between cylinders. Thats more or less what the Daihatsu service book says.

6. Kxforlife

Kxforlife New Member

Yeah I replaced the valve stem seals and cleaned the carb and is still doing it. Could it be a head gasket?

7. Kxforlife

Kxforlife New Member

It only has 12k original kilometers.

8. Squeaks-leaks

Squeaks-leaks Member

If it was a head gasket you would probably be burning water instead of oil.

Put some oil in the cylinder with the low reading. If the number comes up then you will be in the market for ring/hone job.

I am not very familiar with these trucks either. But I wouldn't be surprised if the odometer has rolled over.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  9. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

White sweet smelling smoke - head gasket,
    Blue smoke - valves, valves seals or rings
    Black smoke- burning rich to much fuel

10. Kxforlife

Kxforlife New Member

I'll try and see what color the smoke is tomorrow.

11. Kxforlife

Kxforlife New Member

I also noticed that after it gets warm it will rev up and down like the choke is going on and off any ideas on what that could be? I already cleaned the carb.