1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Performance parts

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by okiecat, Oct 8, 2014.

1. okiecat

okiecat Member

Does anybody make performance parts for these engines? Like bigger cam, ported heads or headers,ect. Or does something else fit em? I need more HP. Cant pull hills in the wind, 4th gear all the time.

2. Squeaks-leaks

Squeaks-leaks Member

I highly doubt it. Any performance parts would probably need to be custom made. The gain in power just wouldn't be worth the investment. You would be better off fabbing up a different motor altogether.

If I remember correctly somebody installed an Integra motor on YouTube. That would be an awful lot of work though. So unless your just a huge fan of mini trucks you might be better off with a different vehicle.

3. okiecat

okiecat Member

Thanks Squeaks-Leaks, Glad to get a reply. I agree with you on the look for something else. Im going to find my water leak-over heating problem. Put this motor back together and sell this piece of s**t. Why would anybody want something so underpowered?? A vw bug beats this! Well that made me feel better! Got any ideas on a vehicle? I need 4X4 and somekind of bed and hwy legal. Oh and cruise at 65. With a windshield and heater. Ive got a 700 grizzly. Thinking about some of the older datsun,nissan,ect trucks.

4. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

If your overheating, that would probably be your power loss. I have a 94 carry. 4 speed. Lots done to it. Not a power house by any means, but.......... once I got her tuned correctly. Put the timing belt on 5 times because it kept getting a tooth off......... im able to spin the rear tires at will in third or 4th gear on pavement. I actually ended up lowering my rear lift to get more traction. Ive had 50 salmon from the kenai river, 5 kids, 2 dogs, and 4 adults in the bed and still make 3rd gear going up a 27 grade dirt hill. If your overheating, your loosing power. But for what it sounds like you need, youd probably be better off with a Toyota or Mitsubishi or ford ranger

5. okiecat

okiecat Member

Thanks for the reply Moose, Have you done anything to motor to help performance? Yours sounds way more powerful than mine ever has. Ive never spun tires on pavement. Got the motor out and had a blown head gasket. Gaskets on there way. Everything else looks good. Soaking radiator in cleaner. Would like to relocate the radiator to back of cab with fans. Could go bigger then. If I could get your kind of performance I could live with that. What about air filters?

6. Squeaks-leaks

Squeaks-leaks Member

It started overheating after you rebuilt the motor right? Did you properly bleed the system when you refilled with coolant? I have read that the most common overheating issue is improper filling.

7. okiecat

okiecat Member

Yes I know about the burp. Long story short thats not what happened. This is the second head gasket blown, just found today that block deck was not flat. Had a low spot of .008 in one spot. Thats where my water was going into exhaust.

8. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Ouch...... make sure to check the head real good. That little spot shouldn't be the only problem. I bet the head is warped too.
    My carry is stock. All of it. I tweaked the timing a bit but nothing major. Running premium fuel from shell or chevron only with about 3 oz of 2 stroke oil every other tank. Not enough to really notice.

9. Squeaks-leaks

Squeaks-leaks Member

It probably warped the first time you got it hot. Before investing the money into relocating the radiator look into the cheap solutions for why it was overheating. Things as small and inexpensive as a radiator cap or thermostat can cause big issues.

You can pick up a cheap infrared thermometer from harbor freight and probe around to see where the hot spots are.

10. okiecat

okiecat Member

First thanks to all that have replied, all good info! I found another problem tonight. I had checked the head on glass and valve lapping compound. After an hour I felt like it was true and flat. Started cleaning it up with water hose and a little jet spray nozzle. When I put it in exhaust ports the exhaust valves leaked water. Every one of them. This head has been worked right before it got hot. Cracked head or seat? Intake side was tight, no leaks. Going to lap valves in and try again.

11. okiecat

okiecat Member

Oh I would like to plug Five Point Mini Truck Parts. I ordered a complete gasket kit on Monday from Ok. They were here today when I got home from Ca. Pretty quick in my mind. And the price was great.

12. Squeaks-leaks

Squeaks-leaks Member

Leaking exhaust valves would explain your lackluster performance. Leaking valves bleed off your compression so you have less force to push the pistons. It is strange that everyone of your exhaust valves is leaking that bad. Might be worth having the head sonic tested for cracks.

Sure would suck to get it back together with a cracked head.

13. okiecat

okiecat Member

Yep, i dont want to take any chances. I lapped one cylinder tonight,and put the valves back in
    And water tested. With my 60# of water pressure and a shop towel stuffed around the nozzle I got a few drops one one valve. Will it seat or do I lap it some more. Using the fine grit.

14. I don't suppose this thread is still being read but if so, has anyone tried putting a performance chip in their carry. I've seen a lot of performance chip adds for carrys and I'm very tempted?