1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acty motor swap - difficulty!!

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by Seansm10, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Seansm10

Seansm10 New Member

Hi guys new to the forum, new to actys as well. I will try and provide as much backstory as I can so I can well, hopefully, get accurate help or directions. Alright!!

So I purchased two honda actys.

The first acty is a 1991. It has a good(it seems) motor. But lots of front end damage( write off). So at the same time I had come across acty number dos. This acty has no damage, is in very good condition, but the motor had been pulled. The head is there but not the block for whatever reason. So I thought hey I can get these both for a good enough deal I will swap the motor and have most of a parts car. Everything will be awesome. I was wrong. lol!

Acty2 I am not sure if it is 1990 or 1992, but it is different. I will get into that.

So I began pulling everything out of a1 to begin swapping things into a2. So I have gotten to bolting the motor in. At this point in time I didn't think there would be any differences. But there are. The wiring is different.

First I swapped this black box. It is mounted to the ceiling, closer to the cabin. On a1 it has 3 vacuum lines, the box from a2 has 4 vacuum lines, both have a plug but are different and a1 will not accept into a2 chassis. I assume it's a carbon canister? Is it crucial on a carbureted motor? I know it is somthing that can be deleted,(on 90s Nissan motors in my experience) will this difference help signify what year this acty is?

Now the other root of my issue, on the JDM driver side of the where the engine sits at the top, I have 3 I think, or 4, I am not sure how many, plugs that will not line up and I am not sure why, since it is carbed there should be minimal wiring. I am not asking for a specific answer unless that is very easy and has been covered before...

What I am asking though is if there is any kind of pinouts or tables or anything that I can read up and research my own answers? I have a friend who is very proficient in engine and chassis wiring( he deals specifically with 240sx, skyline, etc) but iff I can provide diagrams to modify current wiring he will be able to sort it. Thanks guys.

I can upload pictures of my current issues tomorrow when I am at my shop.
    I still have the complete harness from a1, which the motor previously ran with, could I swap the entire harness over and be issue free?
    Sean

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  2. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

Do both trucks have the same transmission?

3. Seansm10

Seansm10 New Member

Hey oldmachinest, before putting the motor in I measured the bottom piece where the axels fit in, and it was the same, would this lead me to believe that they are the same? Or should I check somthing else?

4. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

With all the differences I thought maybe one was a automatic and the other a manual transmission.

5. Seansm10

Seansm10 New Member

Oh I gotcha! No I can confirm it's 5spd, pedals and shifter are upfront. I will have some pictures up in a couple hours hopefully that can shed some light on why these two are differe t

6. Seansm10

Seansm10 New Member

http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/Seansm10/embed/slideshow/Mobile Uploads Hey here are the picture of the problem electrical.. And the black box I am unsure of that has a problem plug as well. The two snipped plugs came with the truck, I included pictures of the wire colors at the back of the plugs. Any help on what I can do is appreciated or if any other pictures are required thank you

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  7. Seansm10

Seansm10 New Member

Anyone have any ideas? Need to get this done so I can have a drivable vehicle

8. Seansm10

Seansm10 New Member

Called local honda dealership, everyone I spoke to sounded kinda helpless, but they insisted they had no way of getting any diagrams or information. If no one has the knowledge for it, are there any suggestions as to maybe mini truck shops that I could contact and speak with?

9. Borg

Borg Member

We don't know where you are located. I'm sure if we knew, we could direct you to a more local mini-shop.

Are you sure you don't have 2 different trucks? Like an HA4 and an HA3 or something?

Check the VIN numbers, it's on the passenger side foot well by the door hinge.

Lots of pictures also helps too.

10. Seansm10

Seansm10 New Member

I live a little ways outside of Vancouver, in British Colombia canada. They look the same in and out, I will check the vins a little later when I can get to the shop, and I am certain they are but a year apart. Anything I can take pictures that would be of use?

11. Seansm10

Seansm10 New Member

They are both ha4

12. Borg

Borg Member

There has to be a difference, A/C, 4 speed vs 5 speed or 5 speed with ultra-low.

There is a guy "minitruck.ca" that may be able to help you out, I think he's on the island though.

13. Seansm10

Seansm10 New Member

Hey Borg thanks for the reply. Me and my old man sat down with a hard look at it and have traces where all the wires go, both were non ac and in my google research I actually came across that site yesterday, I was going to email him but had sorted it myself, you can vouch for him for parts? It's a new market for me so I was unsure if the new parts he sold were overpriced or not

14. Seansm10

Seansm10 New Member

Hey guys I've tidied nearly everything up, I have one more thing left to do, and that is put a new speed sensor in

What is the easiest way to access it or pull the cluster to swap it?

15. Seansm10

Seansm10 New Member

Alright gentleman I have finished swapping what felt like an entire chassis of parts over to my new acty. I believe I have bled the coolant correctly, going to double check this weekend when I am back working on it, but here's the issue I am having(but didn't have prior to swap): on cold start up the idle is a little lower than it should be, it's choppy/lumpy, the idle will climb to what I am guessing is 2500-3000 then will come back down(this repeats) now when the engine is running temp it just sticks to the absurdly high idle and won't come down..is this causation from a vacuum leak? Or has my throttle body coincidently broke/damaged? I have had to adjust my clutch cable and throttle inside the cabin, could the adjusted throttle be affecting this as well? It also chuffs blue like it's a two stroke which it didn't do before, is this a temporary thing caused by the above? Any insight on where to begin looking,, I have tried researching this and couldn't come up with much of a helpful solution. Thanks guys