1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headers for mini

Discussion in 'Performance' started by okiecat, Oct 14, 2014.

1. okiecat

okiecat Member

Anybody built there own? Does anybody make aftermarket headers for them? Thinking Ill try to build one. Trying to figure out size of tubes and collector. May get rid of muffler also. Going to de tox this thing. No airbox either, and eliminate a bunch of vacume lines

2. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Have you looked at spaner's build thread in the Suzuki section? There's lots of performance ideas there.

3. okiecat

okiecat Member

Thanks yes Ive followed his supercharger build. Will ck out the suzuki section. I like his style.

4. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Hey, hey, I'm going post crazy tonight...

Don't try to reinvent the wheel, just make a very good copy of it...
    I like quoting that idea.

A header is not required here; it's not what is needed. What IS required, is that you remove/eliminate the restrictive 1 1/4" outflow oriface of the inline catalitic converter.
    Unbolt the exhaust pipe from the cat, then unbolt the cat from the exhaust manifold. Then take the catilitic converter off, and pitch it as far as you can towards the neighbors' yard...:p

On the cheap, a strait peice of 14" x 2" exhaust pipe, coupled together with the appropriate bolt-up flanges for the application (MIG'd together) will get you 10hp in your sleep.

Larger piping out the rear, and a larger muffler WILL improve things for sure, but it's the cat, the catalitic converter out-flow oriface that is the restrictive eliment here.

A header...no...
    And, vac line yanking...absolutly not dude...:frustration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHqFlvRRujs

5. okiecat

okiecat Member

Thanks Spaner, I will take this as very good advice. Im not above listning! My real problem started when I didnt have time to do this myself. Hired a local shade tree shop, twice!!? Got in my shop and working on it at nights. What about the radiator? Would like to get it out of mud and grass. Move it or skid plates?

6. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Forgot about this post,

Just a quick comment here, depending on what you want to use the truck for, but in general, most guys have the cooling thing wrong; just the wrong concept.

First off, you can't over cool the engine, the thermostat will prevent this.
    Secondly, the OEM set-ups are just not enough, unless you drive north of 60, even then...too small.
    Thirdly, the burp factor, and the fact that the smalest of cracks in the system will cause ghosting of the temp gauge due to air pockets and air locks.
    Fourth, off-roading, no protection, squishing and cracking of the rad and the previous mention of ghosting.

So, if you are going to get into this issue, and do it right, you've got some work to do here for sure.

The solution is to undue, or at least address the issues mentioned above. Making an honest effort to correct the largest of the problems will go a hell of a long way.

What I would recommend, would be to;
    1) install an additional rad
    2) double the cooling copacity
    3) install a second cooling fan on the second rad
    4) mod the fill port, burp port, and the rez...HIGHER than OEM

AND, protect it all, WAY above what you think you would need to survive a 10MPH strike to both the old, and the new.

A single air-lock and/or overheat situation has the potential to fry a lot of components here, and cost a lot of time and money. Not to mention that the toy is down for the long term, and the cause is still not fixed, sill too much heat, way too much with the OEM systems,

Mod it right, and move on.

So, would I move the rad?

No, I'd double it. :sly:

moto_0321.jpg moto_0318.jpg moto_0271.jpg moto_0161.jpg moto_0163.jpg

Tony Evers likes this.
  7. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

So is there a step by step on the cat repipe?
    I tried to open the Utube but no luck.

8. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

And I looked and I do not have an 02 sensor? Would I still have the Cat?

9. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Look at the outlet from your exhaust manifold, the cat is a short cast iron section bolted to the manifold and the exhaust pipe is bolted to it. Inside this thing is a honeycomb looking mess.

10. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I see the cast part and from there is a triple pipe into one!
    Would it be best if I were to toss all that and just get 2" pipe and some how get it up in to the cast and just hook to it with a turbo muffler?

11. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

If the cast part you are seeing is the cat then yes toss it and plumb on back with 2". You probably know that you'll have to soak the nuts and bolts pretty good with PB Blaster or another good penetrant.

12. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Yep funy tit bit about that.
    Buddy used to call it panter piss!
    Come to find out what that really meant!
    ATF fluid and Acetone (fingernail polish remover) Kinda pink, pink panther piss!
    Works even better than PB Blaster!

13. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Is there a flange that fits the manifold? (to do away with the cast cat?)

14. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

OK I found a header!
    I have 2 on the way!
    First is off of a non turbo Arctic Cat!
    The other is a cast manifold from the Cat turbo 660!

15. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

16. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I will have to rework the Header to have the outlet head towards the rear instead of down!
    The Cast iron I hope to make a flange with a 90 on it to bolt right to it with 2" pipe!

17. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Did Not find what I was expecting!
    No Cat!
    Looks like a Long tube header system?

Attached Files:

18. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

The cast iron has No honey comb at all.
    Each runner goes all the way to the valve!
    But they are soooo small!

19. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Now all I have to make is the collector?

Attached Files:

20. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

So what is this?

21. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

The Arctic Cat header and turbo manifolds are NOT the same!
    Looks like the newer 660 efi in the 99 up?