1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water coming from block

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Muddobber, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Muddobber

Muddobber New Member

I have a 92 carry and have had no problem until this morning. Went out and drove it to the barn, and water started pouring from the lower part of the block. Any idea as to what this could be? What are the steps I need to do? Thanks guys and if there is a thread like this I appolagize for reposting but I couldn't find it.

2. rugerman

rugerman Member

Where on the block are you seeing water?

3. Muddobber

Muddobber New Member

Facing the truck, left side out of a small hole lower part of engine. It's a perfect circle so it's not busted... Not sure what it is.

4. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Probably a freeze plug.I don't remember how many there are in the block but I know for sure there are 2 in the head because I've had them rust through on one.

5. Muddobber

Muddobber New Member

Ok, well I guess that's better than something real bad! Lol where would one get a replacement or what all is intell of repairing it? Thank you for your help.

6. packrat

packrat Member

if it is a frost plug, just measure the diameter of it so you know the size (metric). Most auto parts jobbers should have them. You could also try putting a block heater in it's place. They have them to replace a frost plugs. To put one in, remove the old one, clean/sand the opening, and using a socket that easily fits inside the new one, tap it in with a hammer to the same depth as the old one

7. Muddobber

Muddobber New Member

View attachment 13982 not sure if that worked but it's a pic of the hole coolant is coming from, too small for a freeze plug I think. Maybe 3/8"+\- right above oil filter.

8. packrat

packrat Member

can't see it, and I can't think what that would be. Sorry

9. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I have a couple of these blocks on stands and in the area you describe there are 2 plugs that are recessed allen screw types. One is closer to the front of the engine and about 3/8" the other is more directly over or under the filter,depending how you look at it, and it's closer to 1/4".If you have an assortment of metric bolts you should be able to figure out what you need size and pitch wise.Hopefully it just worked it's way out some how and isn't rusted out.

10. Muddobber

Muddobber New Member

Ok, been chatting with Jim Nelson, thank you so much for the help. Ive narrowed it down that the hole is in the plate that bolts to the block, but behind the plastic cover on the front. The engine is a dd51t, a small hole that has no threads, and located at like 1oclock if it's in the truck. Coolant start to seep with in 15-20 sec of starting.

11. Big Ern

Big Ern New Member

If it turns out to be a frost plug then get a brass one. In marine application that is all we use do to fresh water flowing threw the block and the standard automotive is metal. The problem is that in japan they use water in these trucks and the frost plugs are designed for prestone hence why they rot out.

12. Muddobber

Muddobber New Member

Well it turned out to be the water pump. I replaced it and now the truck still over heats!! I removed the thermostat thinking it could be stuck, no help, figure it should barely get over warm.... But it'll boil out the radiator..... What now? I have started it, took an air hose and pressurized the radiator to make sure there wasn't an air lock or something in it and still no help...

13. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

When you fill the cooling system you need to jack the front end up so the radiator cap is the highest point in the system,I also open the bleeder valve on the thermostat housing, have the heater controls on the high setting then pour the coolant in slowly,allowing time for air to work it's way out,close the bleeder valve when there is a flow of coolant,fill the over flow tank and start it up.If everything is ok you will probably haste to top off the overflow tank after running a little and letting it cool down.Another thing that sometimes causes trouble is the coolant lines through the carburetor,you need to be sure they are clean and flowing or you can get an air lock there too.

14. Muddobber

Muddobber New Member

So I shouldn't run the engine while filling? Thank you for the help, I'll see what I can figure out.

15. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I don't run them for the initial filling it just makes a big mess. This way takes a little longer but it works,you just have to top it off after the first time or 2 that you run it.

16. Muddobber

Muddobber New Member

Ok, thank you