1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lighting problems

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by cdover73, Oct 27, 2014.

1. cdover73

cdover73 Member

Been a while since my last post but only because ive been too busy driving and enjoying the S83p.

What I have now is a problem with the electrical/lighting. My dash wont light up at night to show the gauges but the individual indicator lights work fine (high beam, batt, 4wd, etc). I have taken it out and checked each background bulb and they all work when I apply voltage but not when plugged back in.

My tail light running lights dont work either. Brake lights, turn signals, hazards all work fine and the bulbs are all good. I cant find any fuses for either of these that show blown. I have also called myself looking at the wiring diagram but couldn't find anything there either.

Does anyone have any input? Is this a common problem with an easy fix like a hidden fuse? Is the taillight running lights on the same circuit as the dash lights? Or do I need to prepare for tracing each wire to the source?

Thanks,
    Cdover73

2. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Could be the headlight switch itself. Your dash lights, marker lights and tail lights are all related and solely controlled by this switch.

3. cdover73

cdover73 Member

Doh!!! :frustration: That just goes to show if you get too caught up in something back up and open your eyes! I got so caught up in the details i totally overlooked the obvious. Feel like an Einstein now for sure...or is that a Darwin?

Thanks for opening my eyes. I will check the switch.

4. cdover73

cdover73 Member

Not the switch. Pulled everything apart and it all tested good with voltage and continuity. Nothing to ground when it wasnt supposed to be. Would it be possible that if I have one bad bulb it would cause the rest not to work? Like a xmas tree string of lights. I have to pull my front bumper to get to the front bulbs. A job in itself...

5. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Back 30 years ago or so if the tail light fuse burned out the dash lights went with it,back then I've seen a bulb with an internal short cause a lot of grief too. Electrical problems can drive you nuts.