1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no compresion on cylinders

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by bumpy, Nov 1, 2014.

1. bumpy

bumpy New Member

hey all,first post.Ihave a 88 hijet with dump bed, right hand drive.Motor ran hot for couple min.and wouldn't crank.0 compression on all cylinders,guessing im looking at major failure!If this is the case I will need parts,or maybe easier to replace whole motor.Can anyone tell me where to start looking for parts.I am in N C.

2. parkland

parkland New Member

Not an expert, but if there 0 compression maybe the timing belt skipped some teeth.

3. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Magic Valley Mini Trks. They handle all parts for the 550cc Daihatsu's these days in the USA.
    Prices are a little scary.
    GR Imports might have parts.
    Complete rebuilt motor might try Yokahoma Motors in Japan. Im thinking 1600.00+ -.

4. A. Gillingham

A. Gillingham Member

0 compression isn’t achieved unless a couple things happened, #1- timing belt keeping valves cracked open on compression stroke, #2- piston heads damaged badly with holes, #3- head gasket not sealing on either combustion chamber. I’d check the compression again making sure the throttle plate is open all the ways ( disconnect the coil wire so a no start), and be sure you have a working comp tester. Next check would be the timing belt, and if on timing and ok, then check the piston heads and head gasket.

5. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

A,
    Good info. on your part! NOTE; The thread is from 2014, but again, there's nothing wrong with adding to the Thread with more usable info!!! Please go to your Signature, in your Profile and tell us what you have! Thanks!
    Limestone

6. A. Gillingham

A. Gillingham Member

Yeah, was trying to add to the diagnostic part of these threads, I believe diagnostic references are most important when a collection can be referenced.

Limestone likes this.
  7. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

If you have an air compressor get a bleed down tester. A compression checks tells you the air isn’t staying in the cylinders. A bleed down tester tells you where it is going.
    But the most probable cause is a catastrophic failure of the head gasket. You end to fill out your signature line with some details about your truck. Look at mine and Limestone’s as good examples. It helps a lot when we are trying to help you troubleshoot issues and give good advice.

For example: I don’t know off hand whether your engine is teh 2 or 3-cylinder. Which lefts memake a better guess on whether. A catastrophic failure of the head gasket would be eh probable cause.

Limestone likes this.