1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Muffler repairs

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by OldMachinist, Nov 12, 2014.

1. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

My muffler suffered the fate of several other members here. Where the inlet pipe connects to the muffler cracked. I caught it before it completely broke off and was able to weld it up.

DSCF2659.JPG

To relieve the strain on that connection I added a brace on the other end.

DSCF2661.JPG

A couple of years ago the resonator part of the muffler rusted out and I replaced it with a piece of fence post pipe.

DSCF2665.JPG

2. Littlestan

Littlestan Member

Haha! Clever use of fence pipe. Sched 40? ;)

3. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

Nope, 16ga chain-link fence 2-3/8" diameter post.

4. shogun

shogun Active Member

My one cracked at the same place, seems to be the weak point on the muffler. Could not pass the check for road certificate 3 years ago and bought a new one. Should have known that earlier as a friend from the U.S. sent me a Harborfreight 90 Amp-AC, 120 Volt, Flux Cored Welder which only cost abt $120. Ad says:
    Get the functionality of a MIG welder without the hassle of gas. This Flux Core Arc Welder (FCAW) is specifically designed to use self-shielding flux-cored welding wire, eliminating any need for gas and regulators normal MIG welders require. Set-up is easy for gasless flux-cored welding. With a variable speed wire control and thermal overload protection, this flux wire welder is easy to use.
    •No gas or regulators required •120 volts, 60 Hz, 20 amps, single phase input •Variable speed wire control •Welding Output Range: 60-120 amps AC •Weldable materials: Mild, low alloy steel (not suitable for aluminum or stainless steel

Probably not usable for every thing, but for a DIYer o.k. I hope. Did not use it yet.

5. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

I have a similar welder. Everything ive built for my carry I built with it. I love that little buzz box, I'm sure you will too!!! Old muffler pipe is a pain to weld!!!! All the carbon in the pipe........ A bit of patience and you too will make daniel-son look bad!!!
    As for my muffler............ I ran a 1 1/2 inch piece of muffler from the manifold back, adjusted the timing to 12ish degrees to stop the clatter and couldn't be happier!! Noticeable power increase as well as uses less fuel.