1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mitsu cold start issues northern canada

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by serge, Nov 27, 2014.

1. serge

serge Member

Hey all looking for some pointers in resuolving my issue.

cold start at anything below -5C even after being plugged in(2 hrs) with inline coolant heater and oil pan heater.
    i feel as though it is the choke on the carb but am unable to confirm, any suggestions?

ive considered putting in a manual choke cable. is this a good idea or a waste of time& energy?
    any other quick fixes?
    or should the carb be kitted, and or replaced with aftermarket version??

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  2. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

I have a 96 Carry it hates ethanol. it is an issue with most of these trucks in cold weather. I just went through some -20 here in Radium Hot Springs BC and it still started ok. of coarse like you I keep the pan heated at night. maybe longer than you. I plug it in when I park the truck for the night. If gas does does not do the trick try stp octane booster for $5 . changing the carburator ends up costing $500 some how or another plus all the vacum lines can be trying even in warm weather.
    Tony

3. Squeaks-leaks

Squeaks-leaks Member

Does pumping the gas a few times before trying to start it help?

4. serge

serge Member

no, I tired it today, plugged in for 3 hrs, - 25C all day
    it'll warm up this week, to -7C

what about higher octane? I use 87, would 89 or 91 or 94 be better for this vehicle, would it also make a difference in power and mileage?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  5. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

Serge, I have been talking to another mini truck owner. Like you he has had trouble starting in cold weather. He resolved his problem by giving the carburator a complete clean. Mostly the jets impede the spray from forming the correct size droplet for ignition. before you go as far as carb rebuild consider having your ignition coil tested. low voltage will impede ignition as well. test off your alternator with a volt meter. reading should be between 12-13.5 volts. then follow to starter. Test to see for resistance. most likely you have low volts causing you your problems. with a few hours and a hundred dollars you should be able to fix.\
    Tony

6. serge

serge Member

so I got it started today at -14C.
    I found my oil canister and it said 10-w30 so I will be doing an oil change tomorrow to 5w10 to help with the engine turnover and heating properties. I will wait until a warmer day to do anything carb wise.

might I ask, how it was cleaned(tony)? seafoam? or just break cleaner through all the ports?

battery is very new and alternator I tested before I reinstalled my engine 3 months ago. it was at 13.45V

7. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

when I cleaned the carb I did it in warm temperature in my shop. thats a key factor. With older truck. vacum lines are more plyable. I took every part off of carb and cleaned in a tub of gas. ha ha old school . with an air compressor i blew all ports and jet . i did take me two days for job. while your at it put on oil pan heater. $50 for stick on to oil pan. works well. it is constantly -20 here and truck still starts.

8. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

sorry I forgot that you added oil pan heater already. good luck. wish I could be more help. man if you were closer I'd help you out personaly

9. serge

serge Member

2 day job, was it difficult removing the carb from the motor without dropping the motor? haven't looked at it yet. 2 days, I guess a 1/2 day to soak?

10. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

it took 2 days because of my 6'2" body does not, do well in the small confines of a mini cab. like most Canadians were just a little big for these trucks. alot of the time was spent labeling the vacuum hoses and cleaning. blowing out all lines. soaking is fairly quick. just a few minutes really. but disassembling all components then blowing them clean correctly takes time. Whats the point of going through all the trouble if your not going to do the best job I could. Also it was my first time doing a Suzuki truck. theres always a learning curve. You could probably do it faster. I'm a fellow who takes more breaks than he should. LOL it's just me on the ranch so I get doing one thing and remember I need to do another. always multi tasking.. you can probably do the whole thing in a day. but for sure it's a 6 hr job