1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant flush how to

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by snakedoc, Nov 29, 2014.

1. snakedoc

snakedoc New Member

As misshap I busted my radiator on a stump it was trashed tank had a hole in it body c shaped. I get a radiator put in and start to flush I'm swapping to elc to protect the engine. This is what I did, you will need 1 gallon of elc I use shells 1/2 gallon of clean non tap water water hose vacuum pump and a helper.

I started buy putting the truck on a hill butt up higher I removed the rad cap base and put the end of the water hose in it it's a tight fit but works. Now open the radiator drain the drain by the oil filter and the 2 breeders on top of the engine. Only open the water hose a very small amount water should come out all the drains and the top bleeders. When the green is gone close the radiator drain close the engine block drain and flush for 5 minutes. This helps push the air out and have just water in it.

I cut the water off close the bleeders removed the water hose put the cap back on. Next I moved the truck to flat ground opened 1 of the bleeders and then I had someone at the same time pure elc in the radiator. They should keep it full as not to let air in. After some time the water will turn to elc coming out close that bleeder off then open the other on and flush it the same way until the water stops and elc flushes it out.

This next part may not be necessary but it helped get the last of the air out. Move the truck back to butt high. At this point I hooked a vacuum pump with a tank to hold fluids to the drive side bleeder and a hose to the passenger side into the elc you may have to add the water to it as the truck holds about 5.2 quarts.
    Start the vacuum and then open the bleeder then one the other bleeder and draw the elc in to the system will pulling the air out. I pulled about (2 gallons) though all I did was a quart then I poured it back to the pulling side tank and pulled the same elc around until I had most of the air out. Then I closed all the bleeders and ran the truck until it got warm. I let it cool then open the radiator cap and pour the elc in until full I did this 3 times and it only took maybe a quart.
    At this point I ran it until it was good and hot make sure it dose not overheat. And all was good I have driven it 1 day so far and it has not overheated and it is full of antifreeze.

It will take you 2 hours or more to do it but I had no choice as there was air I the lines where the tank busted. Hope this helps and you may have a better idea but this was the first time I have done it

2. snakedoc

snakedoc New Member

Been running all week has worked perfectly. Now I can start on the bumper build