1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! Fuel in Air cannister on our Carry

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by BillinOregon, Nov 30, 2014.

1. BillinOregon

BillinOregon Member

Howdy,
    Long time lurker here. Guys, need some help. We have a 1993 Carry, DD51T, F6A. We have had it 6 years. Pretty clean, well-cared for ranch vehicle I am not auto mechanically inclined, however I do maintain all of our ranch equipment…. Last summer I had issues with restarts during warm weather. On initial cold starts it was okay but after warm up it was almost impossible to start. You could smell the gas fumes. With colder weather it ran better but still some hard start after warm up, gas fumes. Yesterday I was changing the oil and air cleaner and noticed a puddle of gas in far rear chamber of the air cleaner canister. In fact there was evidence of it leaking into the air cleaner. It’s a hazard and needs to be fixed. At this point I must tow it to my local mechanic – Japanese car guy who works on my Subaru and Toyota. I need to supply this guy with parts. Any recommendation on what I can do to trouble shoot, parts I should buy for the mechanic. Any info is great. I have spent hours searching this site and have read about the flooding issue. Not sure if this is a new carb kind of thing or what. Any, help or ideas are much appreciated. We live in Terrebonne, Oregon.

Bill

2. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

yes 100% this is a carb problem. I've had this problem as well. not with my 96 carry but with other off road vehicles. it can be a tedious repair . Mostly your going to remove the carb and take apart everything and reassemble. Like you my trucks are running ranch roads all summer. the carb inevitably will get dust particle contaniments. Causing the jets to fail. I do not believe you actually need to buy any parts. I've never had to. just a thorough cleaning will do the trick
    Good luck
    Tony

3. BillinOregon

BillinOregon Member

Thanks for the reply. Yeah - kind of thought it was a choke issue originally based on other thread? What the heck do I know....still could be. I looked at the coolant issue - clogged tubes in the carb affecting the choke. Seems okay. Like I said - not much of a mechanic. I am going to try (once I figure out how?) to trace the vacuum tubes for split or clogged. Guess you can spry carb cleaner or something. I am going to have to brown nose my mechanic to get him to work on it. Don't want him wasting time or getting frustrated by tracing vacuum hoses. Wish I time to take it out of action for the 5-6 weeks it would take for me to "learn". I might just purchase a new carb and have him install it. After all it is over twenty years old. Maybe rebuild the old one myself for a spare. Funny, I read a post by a long standing member who said, “if the setup looks like spaghetti, seek professional help!”