1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to forum. F6A engine advice please, from Suzuki Alto

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by rob8888, Dec 1, 2014.

1. rob8888

rob8888 New Member

Hi All
    Just arrived, after purchasing a '96 suzuki carry for the farm. Perfect vehicle for my partner - much safer than a quad bike on our hills.

The truck needs some work on the crank/big ends. Rather than all this work, I can get a F6A engine with low-ish kms from a 1995 Suzuki Alto for a reasonable price.

Does anyone know if this will work? I guess at the worst I would have to treat it as a long block engine and swap lots over (possibly also sump / oil pick up etc).

Has anyone done this?

Kind regards and thanks
    Rob

2. rob8888

rob8888 New Member

Folks don't seem very engaging with new members around here? Maybe this might help?

View attachment 14104

3. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Not necessarily that people are not very engaging. If nobody is familiar with what you are doing, you will get no answers. Some only check in occasionally. I have seen this happen on other forum's I go to. Please be a little patient.

Fred

4. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

well thats a good question. Dam I think it'll work. I just looked up the scematics and lay out of the 95 alto. I have a similar problem with my kazuma side by side from china. Thats actually why I bought my 96 carry last sept. because kazuma pooched out. while I'm not going to put a whole lot of money back into side by side I definatey try swapping the engine from an alto. now to find an alto.
    Good luck.

5. rob8888

rob8888 New Member

Progress update - suzuki F6A Alto motor into Carry

Well, purchased a good condition F6A motor from a crashed 1996 Suzuki Alto hoping to use the long block to replace the very tired engine in the super carry I just got.

I'm 60% through and thought I'd update the success.

You have to change everything across. Flywheel is slighty larger diameter, and heavier, but bolts straight across. Both manifolds are different and need swapping, as do oil pump and plumbing etc. The good news is that you have everythiing you need and all holes in the block are drilled/tapped as needed.

:frustration:BUT, I've just got to the distributor question. The Alto has a cam driven fuel pump and upright distributor. The Carry doesn't have need the fuel pump and the distributor is a low profile. So, the Alto cam is about 50mm longer with the extra cam for the pump. SO, I'm now trying hard to decide to either:
    1) just swap the heads over and treat the Alto F6A as a short block only. Risk is that the bad air filter/oil contamination that stuffed the big end would probably had damaged the head/valves/cam etc, or
    2) switch the cam's over. But, I'm not sure of the wisdom of switching cams into another cam's journals/bushes? Can anyone give any advice here?

All that is left it seems is to switch the sump and oil pick up over and we're done.

What would you do - option 1 or 2?

6. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

You're there,
    What are you asking questions for :confused:

"The truck needs some work on the crank/big ends."
    "Does anyone know if this will work?"

Nope, you're the Alto fix man on this forum...
    :p

"Has anyone done this?"
    Nope...

Q's 1&2...
    "The truck needs some work on the crank/big ends."

Just continue to bolt all the Carry stuff to the block,
    Carry head and cam. Plus dizzy and related parts,

If you're concerned about ware on the cam due to the failue, then get the manual out and mic up the parts to check for spec tolerance before bolting it all down.

You're just building a new engine with used parts,

that's all...
    :cool:

7. rob8888

rob8888 New Member

Thanks. My preference would be to use the Alto block and head (as it will be in better condition), but put the Carry cam into it. Any thoughts on switching the cam across into the other head? Would the cam journals etc need machining, or would you just put it in and be done with it? Haven't doen any cam work before.

8. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Nope, I wouldn't do it.

"as it will be in better condition"

Why do you think this?
    Check the Carry head/cam; get it rebuilt even, if you have to.

Generally, big-ass-parts will bolt up to other big-ass-parts, or they won't...(use a tape measure)
    Parts that need to be mic'd up to tolerance; they need to be machined, and sent off to the shop@80 bucks an hour.

It's a no brainer for me. Do you want to rebuild an engine, or engineer a one-off-custom head?