1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2" lift & 23" tires vs 4" lift (?) & 25" tires

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by parkland, Dec 1, 2014.

1. parkland

parkland New Member

OK,

I am 99% sure that I want a 2" lift, just enough to handle some offroad 23" tires, to help this little unit get through the snow better, and mud too.
    After reading about issues with front end trouble over 2" of lift, the answer seems to be keep it 2" of lift or less.
    I am happy with this, I don't need a lot of lift.
    I really didn't want a big lift, or trimming the body panels.
    However,
    Try to find 23" tires, they are rare and expensive.
    As are the 12" rims to mount them on.

Obviously a 4" lift would destroy the front end, but what about a 2" suspension lift, and 2" body lift?
    It seems like more trouble than a 2" lift kit for 99$, but the thing is, 25" atv wheels and tires are plentiful and cheap.
    What do you guys think?
    Cheap lift and expensive wheels and tires, or expensive lift and cheap wheels and tires?

I'm assuming a 4" lift would clear the 25" atv tires without trimming the body. :frustration:

The stock wheels with 4x4 are amazing but the deeper snow is a little challenging.
    I really didn't think of putting 25" atv wheels on this when we bought it, but it looks like it might be more cost effective in the long run. Thoughs?

2. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

As you've researched, doing more than a 2" suspension lift is probably asking for trouble. There have been some body lifts done although I can't recall if on a HiJet...off hand I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. I've got around 2" total on mine (1" spacer plus 10" springs) and have been super happy. I had to drill my rims custom but that wasn't too much of a bother. And the tires are 23" AG tires...not everyone's cup of tea but they are cheap, sturdy and work great for me. Hope this helps!

3. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Keep it simple is my rule. On Daihatsu's several yrs. ago we started installing with max. lift at 1 3/4". If a customer wants 2" I'll do it but most of the trucks sitting on the lot will have the 1 3/4" lift already on it. (only on Suzuki's will we install a 2" lift) Any higher you need to drop this and that and do some fab fab work.
    As for tires look at the "AMS Swamp Fox", 23x8x10. They are 6ply and come in two different lug heights, standard and extra. Ive sold hundreds of these tires and not once had a complaint. Retail they are around 80 to 85 each. Any shop that sells atv products should be able to order them. They are noisy on hard pack surfaces, pavement ect. But in the field they are quite. I think the tire calls for max. air psi at 8 or 10, we run 16 in them.
    They will fit the standard stock rims.

4. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

This is the same approach I took (1" spacer and 250lb springs front/longer shackles back) and it's been reliable for 4yrs. I stayed w/ 23" tires because my auto truck doesn't have the power to turn anything taller. With a manual I wouldn't be scared of 25".

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  5. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Why not stay with the 23 inch tire but go 10 inches wide with a 2 or 3 inch offset. The added width would make all the difference in the world. Then instead of doing more then a 2 inch lift, put 250,pound springs on.

6. parkland

parkland New Member

How is a lift any worse than a smaller lift and tighter springs? Either way cv shafts at the same angle.

7. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

That is correct parkland, as long as the truck never moves (static)
    However, what we talk about here, is the dynamic, and the suspension does move.

A small lift and tighter springs, the suspension has an extension limit, and therefor, a cv actuation limit.
    A cv actuation limit, that is LESS, than if you put a larger "lift" on to the front suspension components.

That limit, is restricted by the full extension of the factory struts, and is within factory tolorance for the cvs.

Tighter springs, same factory extension limit,

Strut blocks, beyond factory cv tolorance limits; they fry.

Body lift, no...

8. parkland

parkland New Member

Ahhhh I see.
    Well I really don't want to do anything that is going to wreck parts.
    I think I would do the springs then to keep on the safer side of things.

I ran across several tires that might fit but I want to use either a DOT tire or ATV tire that is rated for highway speeds.
    My wife drives on the road lots and I don't want to risk a blow out.

9. parkland

parkland New Member

What about golf cart wheels and tires?
    Seems to be lots of 12" golf cart wheels and tons of tire options including some DOT approved tires.
    Lots of 21" to 23" tires.

Only problem is needing stupid wheel adapters.