1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki Alto HA11 (F6A) engine into Suzuki Carry DD51T

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by rob8888, Dec 21, 2014.

1. rob8888

rob8888 New Member

I asked a few weeks ago if anyone had done this. Appears not. So gave it a bash.

I'll record my experience here as reference should anyone wish to follow me lead.

I bought a 1995 Carry with stuffed engine last month. Bad big end noise. What to do, rebuild it or source a 2nd hand motor?

Well, I rang around New Zealand and no one had a F6A to suit, so did some model research and found the Alto engine (HA11) is a F6A block. I got a carby model from a low km Alto that had been crashed, to use as a long block.

Every item needs to be changed over but this was simple, just took time.

Here are some tips and discoveries as this is a viable route should others wish to copy.:)

You have pretty much everything at hand. I was able to reuse all gaskets, so a new set wasn't really that necessary if you have silicone gasket goo. I just used a thin finger smear of silicone on the inlet manifold to be sure. Note carefully here that the inlet manifolds and gaskets are different. I kept the Alto inlet manifold gasket as it was in good nick and stuck to the head. But it doesn't seal the carry manifold and will have bad air leaks and this wasn't immediately obvious and I noticed it by chance. I had paper gasket sheeting so just cut out 3 half moon crescent shapes and sealed them in with a thin smear of silicone gasket, perfect.

Oil filter housing: just unscrew the centre spin on stub that the alto oil filter screws onto and the carry stub goes in here before bolting the extension unit over the top.

Water ports: the alto has a radiator hose outlet under the distributor that has a blank cover on the carry. That was hard to get off as it has 2 flush mounted screw heads (not bolt heads) and they were very stuck. I needed to use an impact wrench pushing in hard with my knee here to stop them burring out as they were very hard to move without stuffing the heads.

Atlo engine drives a different distributor AND fuel pump off the rear of the camshaft. You must either switch the cams over (they measure up the same), or switch the head over. In my case the DD51T was stuffed, so I wasn't going to risk keeping the head. Switching the camshaft over was simple. Don't worry about loosening the tappets off, just loosen off all the rocker pedestal bolts and you can lift the can out diagonally (a good time saver). Then get your feeler guages out once the camshaft is in and tightened down to set clearances.

Change over the crankshaft pulleys as they're different. Note, engine timing marks are on the flywheel for the carry, and the traditional front spot for the Alto.

Change over the timing belt cover as they are different, but remember to change the stub bolt in the centre, its slightly longer than the Alto one.

You have to swap the sump over, and be sure to swap the oil pick up too and the dipstick and tube.

Flywheel and clutch on the Carry are much heavier duty that the Alto (and slightly bigger diameter, and ring gear is on the back, nor front), so change them over (chuck a $5 pilot bearing in while there). My ring gear was a bit worn (& previous owner said it would jump out a bit) so I heated the ring gear off the flywheel and then dropped it back on offset by 1/3 of a rotation (flywheel in refrigerator & ring gear in oven at 250 for 20 mins). An old trick a mechanic taught me that'll get much more life from the set, as they tend to jump out at the same spot of rotation).

The oil pressure sender is under the inlet manifold on the Alto engine, and by the oil filter on the carry. The carry has a flush head blank screwed in here with an Allen hex key head. I couldn't remove this to swap it as it was too corroded. I just took out the alto oil sender unit, heated it and soldered the small hole shut, then screwed it back into the block and cut it off to make a blank screw.

Anyway, got the hybrid Alto engine with the Carry camshaft, back into the Carry truck this afternoon, and it started first pop and purrs like a kitten. Very pleased. Cost $400 for a 'new' motor.

I'm very satisfied with what I've achieved. Onto overhauling the brakes next.

Rob

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  2. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Good job & thanks for taking the time to write it up.We don't have many Altos here in the states but you never know what will pop up and ideas of what to look for are always helpful.

3. little pebble

little pebble Member

and then there is the Alto works a turbo version and very fun to drive. I used to drive one a while back, wish i still had it, never thought about the engine in a truck though i think it would be common swap or parts at least for carry's as there the main drift trucks along with dahaitsu's